Delco, missed it by "that" much...

Well, at 99,880 miles on the 97 Sub, the original Delco battery finally shook hands with Elvis! Didn't quite make the 100k mark, and has been giving me fits for a few months now. Mrs. BLUE went out to start her Sub this morning and nothing, nada, zip, not even a tick! Tried to jump start with my truck and no luck. Put the charger on and charged for 4 hours, and with the turn of the key there was complete silence (unless you include the few choice 4 letter words that I mumbled).

So, I got on the phone, checked on prices around town and within an hour I had a new(very attractive I might add) Optima Red Top for ?.  Of course after cleaning the terminals and inspection of the recently installed brass terminal posts, I connected the Optima and it cranked right up. Steady 14+ on the gauge. Hopefully, with fingers crossed this will be the last of the leaking, corroding, alternator-killing battery I'll have to contend with for quite a while.

BTW, when I took the old Delco in for the core it was leaking from the positive terminal (not surprised since this is essentially what lead to the corrosion and load dumping onto the alternator which eventually killed it)and only got a reading of about 10v. Glad it happened in the garage at home, and also a bonus since it happened to Mrs. BLUE, I was able to justify the price of the "pretty little battery" as she put it. ;) If any of you need to replace a battery, I highly recommend the Optima, also have a Red Top in my truck and use a yellow top in the boat, pricey but worth it!

Regards,

BIG BLUE

yZR2k

Yeah, guess I can't complain too much, original battery 99K and 4 years including Michigan weather swings.  But, did wreak havoc on the pos. post and surely was the cause of my alternator going out.  You guys make sure not to overtighten that positive dual set-up, the lead spacer will compress and the 3/8 bolt will eventually bottom out in the side post and cause poor connection.  Had this problem on 3 trucks now!

Regards,

BIG BLUE

Archived