EMC Fuse for 2000 Chevrolet Z71 5.3

tpitty

Question

The power in my truck died yesterday on my way home. The fuel gauge was reading empty when it happened. The truck kept trying to turn over, had over half a tank of gas in it, but the gauge still read empty. I went to the electrical box and the 20 amp EMC fuse was blown. I replaced it with a spare and once I started the truck, that one blew also.

I managed to get the truck to the house (approx. 5 miles) by putting a 30 amp fuse in its place. I know thats not a good idea, but in the Texas Heat at rush hour I didn't want to spend 3 hrs waiting on a tow truck. Anyway, before I tow this thing to the dealership/or mechanic, is their anything I can do to get this back in working condition?

0 answers to this question

Well, the darn thing died again. I was going about 70 on an entrance ramp and I blew the fuse again.  We hooked a computer up to it and all the sensors passed. We are thinking fuel pump???

Does sound like possibly the fuel pump.

Is their anyway to tell that it is for sure the fuel pump before I replace it?

You could measure fuel pump amperage draw, but it's been so long since I've done that, I don't even recall what it SHOULD be. Certainly less than the fuse that protects it. :D I'm thinking 6-7 amps, maybe a bit less.

The thing is, if it's working okay, i.e. not blowing the fuse, testing won't tell you much. You'd have to have your DVOM hooked up and see the amperage spike just before the fuse blew. If the pump amperage didn't spike, then there could be a intermittent short to ground somewhere else.

Well, the darn thing died again. I was going about 70 on an entrance ramp and I blew the fuse again. We hooked a computer up to it and all the sensors passed. We are thinking fuel pump??? I put a new fuel filter on it, but obvioulsy that didn't work out.......... anyone??

Archived