What sounds better for 6.0?

Finally found the guy everyone around my area has been talking about. Good 'ol Pete. He sure is an illusive sucker... Well, actually it isn't even Pete, and that's probably why I was having such a hard time finding him. His name is Frank, but close... Pete is franks boss and so on. But i guess FRANK is the exhaust KING around here and for $150.00 he is gonna cut out my old muffler and weld in a new one. Either the 50 series or 70 series, same price.

Which one should I go with, im looking for great sound without tickets. I want people to turn their heads and Frank told me to go with the 50 series (which is louder), but he isn't the one payin the tickets. Any imput would be great, tomorrow around 2 or 3 it should be gettin cut up, finally!

P.S. - Both mufflers would be dual in - single out.

Just some personal opinions and facts would be great!

Thanks all!

Do you want it loud? Because that's what it's going to be with Flowmasters. When I bought my truck the previous owner had just installed 50s with dumps, that mess lasted a week and I had 70's with tail pipes installed, that lasted about a year and a half. I had hated that until yesterday afternoon when I had a Magnaflow dual in dual out installed. PERFECT. Power difference is little to more now. Sound is mean but not overbearing. My truck went from Redneck Runner to Gentleman's Express with the change from Flowmaster to Magnaflow.

If your Exhaust King only does Flowmaster get an 80 series Big Block Muffler for similar sound to what I've got now.

Of course if you're looking for the "listen to them pipe rattle, ain't it cool" sound the Flowmasters will work great, the 50 will attract Johnny Law a lot faster than the 70's. You won't be able to drive fast without attracting attention with either.

Vernon

Hey Haulin' 8.1,

What Magnaflow product(s) exactly did you put on? Do you have model numbers and such? I have been waiting for them to put out a SS cat back system for the 8.1 but they don't appear to be in any hurry. They keep telling me they have one coming but I still haven't see one. My goals are what you described in your post. Better (beefer) sound without being crazy and better power/performance. I have a K&N cold air intake I'm putting on too. But I need an exhaust.

Any help?

Thanks

TNT

I had knock off flow's on mine (IMCO cm101's) just liek the flow 70's...they were a little too loud and resonated. I now have the 7x11x22 (i think thats what it is) magnaflow on mine. It has a built in x-pipe in the muffler. I get some nice deep sounds coming out of it...but it also resonates at certain rpms, but i'll have to put up with it until i can find one other than stock that wont resonate.

I have dual flowmaster 50 series on my 6.0L and am getting sick of the noise. I have had the exhaust installed since last fall and was okay at first. But now since the windows have been down for a few months, it's getting pretty old. (Or maybe Im getting old ??!!? :driving: )

Anyways im going to get these mufflers off and get some Magnaflows or something similar. But that will have to wait, my Nelson tune shipped out yesterday, need to save for the next project :P

While I can't speak for the 6.0 specifically, I've had the 3 chamber flowmasters on both my 5.3, and my 7.4 (454) and love the sound. Had a quiet, but powerful rumble, but not very loud, even when you got into the throttle, they were still reasonable.

Thanks guys... I appreciate all the input and opinions. I actually had the 50 series put on the next day before i got a chance to read your posts, but i like it and am very satisfied for now. In a year i may be sick of it, but ill see. Frank went with the dual single in - single setup and left the pipe in the stock position behind the tire. Sounds great, thanks all.

Your mentioning the exit point reminded me of something... In my experiece, the in-cab resonation is much worse with a rear exit system as opposed to a side exit behind the wheels (stock location). I guess the soundwaves bounce off the pavement and back towards the truck.

• 2 months later...

Yea, my exhaust guy was tryin to help me make up my mind between 70's and 50's... Far as power i guess there wasnt much of a difference, just came down to loudness. The 50's def have a nicer sound, where the 70's (he said) you JUST notice a difference, the 50's really bellow sometimes just shy of 3000rpms.

About 2 or 3 months since this post, and im still very happy with the 50 series. I think the engine temp is actually maybe 2 degrees lower as well, but i could be wrong.

Archived