Good cam for 87-94 tbi 350

I am looking for a good cam choice for my 87' GMC 1500, 350, 700r4....I don't race...just want a fat torque curve from idle to about 4500rpm. I use my truck mainly for camping and hauling my 9ft pop up camper....I do have some small chamber swirl port heads off of an 87 305 chevy i was thinking of putting on to up the compresion ratio..and thought while I was at it I should do a good cam swap.

I don't want to do the quater in 10....I'm looking for more power :banghead:

The truck has duals into glass packs with turn downs right before the rear axle.

114,000 original Grandpa driven miles...everything else stock...

Thanks guys!!

I am looking for a good cam choice for my 87' GMC 1500, 350, 700r4....I don't race...just want a fat torque curve from idle to about 4500rpm. I use my truck mainly for camping and hauling my 9ft pop up camper....I do have some small chamber  swirl port heads off of an 87 305 chevy i was thinking of putting on to up the compresion ratio..and  thought while I was at it I should do a good cam swap.

I don't want to do the quater in 10....I'm looking for more power :cheers:

The truck has duals into glass packs with turn downs right before the rear axle.

114,000 original Grandpa driven miles...everything else stock...

Thanks guys!!

I had a 95' Tahoe with a TBI 350 I similarly beefed up. I put on Trick Flow aluminum heads (2.02/1.60 valves), custom roller cam (I think it was about 208/215 duration, .475"/.475" lift with 1.5 rockers, 112LSA), Edelbrock TBI intake, JBA shorty headers, Catco high flow cat system, flowmaster pipes, and a bunch of small stuff. It had a custom tuned chip. If I had to guess, it probably made about 340hp/400tq with these parts.

The performance parts added a lot more torque. The factory TBI heads suck. The engine still didn't make much more horsepower above 4500rpm, but from 2000rpm to 3500rpm, it had great midrange punch. I could hit hills in overdrive that it used to downshift on with power to spare. When I had it I used to pull a 20ft ski boat. It would pull it down the highway and over hills with easy after I put the parts on it.

The key thing is get someone how is good to do the tuning for you. I don't think my tuning was all it could be. I honestly think there was another 20+hp in that truck if the tuning was right.

The cam I had was just rowdy enough that it would get some looks when it was idling. It wasn't so aggressive it pulsed in gear or shook the truck, but the exhaust note out the tailpipe didn't sound stock. I had quite a few people ask me while I had it if it had a cam in it.

If I was to do it again, I'd probably put about a 210/220 .490/.490 112LSA cam in it and have it dyno tuned by someone reputable.

By the way, my gas mileage went down about 1mpg in town with the mods. Remained about the same on the highway.

If you need any help or tips while swapping everything, post here or shoot me an email.

Take care

i've done quite a few cams on tbi's. i'd recomend going with a comp cams # X4250H for a mild performance gain and the ability to run it without alot of programming changes. you will need to change the governer settings in the trans to get the shift points right though. specs are :

206º/214º @ .050

.432"/.453" valve lift with stock rocker arm ratio

111º LSA

the LSA is lower than most would like, but trust me it wouldn't be a problem.

another option would be the XE249H

206º/212º

.434/.444

112LSA

• 3 weeks later...

Archived