LB7 Truck Engine

"Duramax 6600"

Model Year 2002

SUMMARY OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES FOR 2002

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) for California

Revised Cylinder Heads for California

Catalytic Converter for California

Accessory Drive Belt Tensioner Relocated

Software for Engine Control Module (PCM)

FULL DESCRIPTIONS OF NEW OR CHANGED FEATURES

EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION (EGR) FOR CALIFORNIA

To meet new Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) standards for medium-duty vehicles, 6.6L LB7s built for registration in California will be equipped with EGR. The system

features a unique cooling process that increases its effectiveness. Hardware required includes: plumbing that carries some exhaust gas from the turbocharger outlet to

the intake ports; an EGR control valve; an intake throttle plate that creates vacuum to induce the flow of exhaust gas back into the combustion chambers; and a

stainless steel cooling element. The cooling element bolts to the right side of the engine block, inside the cylinder head, with jackets fed by engine coolant.

Returned exhaust gas passes through a spiraled passage in the element, and the temperature of the gas is lowered before it returns to the combustion process. The

EGR valve and intake throttle are managed by the PCM.

REVISED CYLINDER HEADS FOR CALIFORNIA

Heads for California 6.6L LB7s have a new, slightly different casting which modifies the intake ports to accommodate EGR. The ports are repositioned relative to the

combustion chamber, entering the chamber at a slightly greater angle and increasing the swirl or mixing effect inside the chamber. More swirl is necessary to

thoroughly blend returned exhaust gas with the air-fuel mixture.

CATALYTIC CONVERTER FOR CALIFORNIA

California 6.6L LB7s will be equipped with a catalytic converter supplied by Delphi. This high-capacity converter measures 309 cubic inches in volume. LB7s built

for registration outside of California will not have the catalytic converter.

ACCESSORY DRIVE BELT TENSIONER RELOCATED

The device that automatically adjusts tension on the 6.6L LB7's serpentine accessory drive belt has been relocated. The tensioner has essentially swapped positions

with one of the idler pulleys: The pulley is now located outside the belt, while the tensioner is inside. A new, slightly longer drive belt is required to accommodate

the change (Gates PV6). The new location provides a more stable mounting for the tensioner, minimizes its movement and extends its anticipated life.

SOFTWARE FOR ENGINE CONTROL MODULE (ECM)

Control software has been revised for model year 2002 in cooperation with Delphi, the ECM supplier. The new program was developed primarily to accommodate

EGR for California, but it will be used to manage ECMs on all 6.6L LB7s.

The control software includes thousands of calibration values and potentially millions of variables-essentially "switches"-that allow Powertrain engineers to turn on,

turn off or adjust various engine management operations, from ignition timing to fuel delivery. The switches must be programmed in the software; engine

management engineers then calibrate-or set-those switches for the desired result. The 6.6L LB7's software adds more switches to manage more functions, including

the EGR system on engines for California. The ECM is shipped with the control software installed; control calibrations for the engine and specific application are

then ''flash programmed'' (as with a compact flash card reader on a personal computer) into the ECM at the truck assembly plant.

Don't ya just love California?  ???

Quote from quadrunner500, posted on Oct. 10 2001,12:09

That engine (Kali) I do NOT want!

I wouldn't want it either.  Catalytic converters and EGR can't do much good for the power and economy.

I noticed you have exactly the truck I want to order in a year or two.  How do you like the Dmax with the 6-speed, and about what kind of fuel mileage are you seeing.  Have you towed with it yet?

Thanks in advance.

K-Kid, I'm very new to this site. I came here after Ryan gave me a link to it. Was reading some, catching up on the topics when to my surprise, one of the posts had picture of my truck copied in it. (Thanks Ryan...now please give my attorney a call...lol)

D-Max 6 spd

So you've seen it before. The above link, (if it works) also has a picture inside of the 6 spd stick FYI

I love the truck. Perfect for me. I had '99 Silverado Z71 4x4 also a reg cab with 5.3L, same color even. Loved that truck too, but D-Max is the one!

Just happened to find it on a dealers lot after browsing gmbuypower.com. Lucky me...

Friends told me I was making a big mistake not getting the Allison. I worried they might be right. I have always preferred manuals, but my last 2 vehicles were autos, and I was simply hankering to take back the streets...be in control again. Tow haul worked beautifully, but since at best it could only guess what gear I wanted, I got a bit weary of a "smart" truck that nevertheless, can't read my mind.

The ZF 6-spd shifts crisply, throws are short for something so big, sports car like. Slips into gear gracefully, easily, no grinding. Shift lever does not shake, vibrate and rattle like a truck either. Clutch pedal effort less than you expect. In short, no more tiring than the Borg Warner T5 on my old Mustang was. Also think it's a good fit to D-Max, that since diesels don't have much compression braking, doesn't throw you forward in the seat when you lift off the throttle, making it more relaxed in traffic than you expect. It lets you really feel the torque in every gear like only a manual can, but in reality, probably won't win a drag race with an Allison since you come off the boost when making a shift...no biggie for me. 1st gear is of course, a granny gear. Don't really need it. In fact, you could get by with just 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

Fuel mileage has been best of 23 mpg, worst of 18 mpg. Fast running on highway 75-80 gets the worst mileage. Best mileage, surprisingly happens at lower speeds, and around town. I'm curious about this last tank, may be best ever since no driving with A/C on. Long bed gets a 34 gallon tank, good for 700 miles.

As for towing, I have a utility trailer, weighs about 3800-4000 lbs loaded...no sweat for this rig. Friend has Dmax CC Allison that he tows a Tahoe toy hauler trailer with motor bikes, weighs about 9,000 or more loaded, he hauls right up the mountain passes on I-70 at 80 mph no sweat...but only gets 10.5 mpg doing it.

Tom

Yeah, I remember the picture of your truck now.  One of the very few regular cab Duramax's I have seen.  Looks great.

I've had alot of people tell me the same thing about not wanting getting an Allison, but to be honest with you, I love the ZF 6-speed.  I have a good amount of miles in a F350 PSD/ 6-speed, and was impressed the first time I drove it.  Nice shift quality and great power.

I have driven several PSD's with autos, and a few Duramax's with the Allison.  While they are quicker for the reason you mentioned, the feeling of raw power just wasn't there.  I'm sure you have noticed as well, but these trucks have tons of passing power in OD.   :sigh:   I think the ZF I drove felt better in this aspect then the Allison trucks.

btw, those mpg figures look great!  My cousins PSD only gets about 19mpg max, but it has a heavy steel flatbed.

When I found my reg cab LS, there were quite a few regular cabs locally equipped with Duramax. Most of them were base models, and only one other besides mine had the ZF 6-spd. Mine was in the small town of Gunnison Colorado, so I wasted no time calling on it. By the time I had, the other ZF- 6-spd which was a base model had already sold. I lucked into exactly the one I wanted, which also happened to have the aluminum rims.

Finding an LS in Pewter, with Dmax, ZF and aluminum rims in reg cab 4x4....well I just couldn't be any luckier.

It perplexes me why they don't make a few more available in the ZF 6-spd. It seems like people are always interested in finding one, and almost never can. Hard to order one even, for some. Heard you can't get it at all, anymore in the 8.1L gasser, and I never saw one of those either.

Funny thing also. Friend with the Allison told me that tranny dwarfs the D-Max engine, holding something like 4-5 gallons of fluid. Well mine was up on the rack at the dealer getting oil changed when another D-max with Allison comes in, goes up on the rack. As I remember, the ZF looked larger and stouter than even the Allison, although this is not significant.

Oh yeah, the ZF is huge for a manual transmission in a truck as well.  I bet it is a bear to mess with if you ever have to replace the clutch.

I thought it was funny you mentioned the 700 mile range with that 34 gallon tank ( I even have pretty good range on my truck because of the large tank).  If I ever get around to buying one, I was thinking about adding an in bed toolbox/45 gallon fuel tank combo.  Talk about range.  LOL  I bet you could even get 700 miles even when towing really heavy with that setup.  btw, I hope you like the site and can check in fairly often.  Its nice to have another guy around who likes the ZF tranny.

ttc45-sl.jpg

I've looked at that very aux tank/toolbox combo before. And for me, that's the one to get. I presently have a tool chest that mounts below the rails. Looks just like aux tank picture above. I'm fond of this style. To me, they not only look better below the rails, but they don't obstruct your vision, and have lower center of gravity. Only drawback is more difficult to access your stuff, and can't put 2x4's or plywood underneath, again a non-issue for me. I prefer to just jump up in the bed anyway. I think the one you pictured is from American Tank, in Dallas?

Here is pic of my former '99 1500 Z71, with tool box. I took the tool box out before I sold it, and put it in the 2500HD (along with the drop in bed liner which also fit. See how much I liked the old one? New one is same style and color even, just upgrade to D-Max and ZF 6-spd.

15small.jpg

Yeah, I'd say you like those regular cab/longbed pewter pickups!  They are nearly identical.  

I too was kind of worried about putting a tool box between the rails on a pickup, but then I got to thinking.  The pickup I have used the most around the farm where I work has a fuel tank to fill up tractors in the bed.  It takes up more space the this toolbox/fuel tank combo would, and I've never had any problem hauling larger stuff in it.  Like you mentioned, I just think have the toolbox between the bedrails would make it much easier for me to see when hooking up a gooseneck.

btw, the picture is of a tank from American Tanks.

Archived