5.3 Block Coolant Drain Plug

zz50

Question

0 answers to this question

Instructions straight from GM service... used to fix cars at the dealer.

f_635657m_dfddb0b.gif

1. Follow the steps below in order to remove the surge tank fill cap.

1.1. Slowly rotate the cap counterclockwise.

1.2. Stop rotating and allow the hissing to stop.

1.3. After all the hissing stops, continue turning counterclockwise in order to remove the cap.

2. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle .
  3. Place a drain pan under the lower radiator hose.
  4. Using the J 38185 , reposition the lower radiator hose clamp.
  5. Remove the lower radiator hose from the radiator.
  6. Drain the cooling system.
  7. If a complete engine block drain is required, remove the left and right engine block coolant drain plugs.
  8. Remove the engine block coolant heater, if equipped. Refer to Coolant Heater Replacement .
  9. Inspect the coolant.
  10. Follow the appropriate procedure based on the condition of the coolant.

Brian are those pics specifically for the 5.3 V8? If so do you know what the plugs are for in the back of the block? Maybe there are four plugs? I definately seen a plug like that above the oil filter. Just wondering as if i remember right on older engines there used to be 4 freeze plugs and these were removed for flushing, some people installed petcocks in the freeze plug holes to make it easier to drain. I wished I would have known that there were drains in the front. I think I did a good enough job flushing. just like to do the best job possible.

Thanks... Is it in line with the engine mounts? What kind of plug/size? Thanks again...

I read a post somewhere that stated it is 17mm allen style, which I seen at Auto Zone for $10 in a three pack. The same post said that it is back by the oil pan above the filter which I did see a bronze/gold cold plug, you obviously will need to remove the starter to get at the other side. I was thinking of removing mine to install a block heater, but after reading posts here that stated people having codes set and the heater has a thermostat that doesnt allow it to work untill 0 degrees, I just drained and flushed my motor about three times with distilled water. When it was pretty clear I just added two gallons of Dex-Cool.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...hl=block+heater

Check this link out about the third post down MS3DALE talks about the pug sizes and removing the driveshaft with an 11mm to get at the plug, which he said will save time.

Let us know if those plugs come out.

Archived