I'm gonna drop my 98 Sierraex-cab 2 and 4 (for now). My buddy says use drop leafs, I say shackle and hanger. I know the leafs are easier to install, but I still will be pulling a 5th wheel trailer (only 500lbs hitch weight) and car trailer, so I am concerned about the carrying capability of the drop leafs. I used some on a mini before and the advertised 4" drop was more like 7". Does anyone have suggestions or experience with this

You're right. The drop leafs are easier to install but you will loose some carrying capacity. Drop hangers and shackles are the way to go. I recommend BellTech. You get to keep all of your leafs and your load carrying capacity stays the same. And if you decide to go lower, you can pull a leaf and add helper bags to increase your load carrying capacity. Hope this helps...I've done a few lowering jobs and this question comes up frequently on my site.

What is a bad word around here? Are you saying that people here can't appreciate a truck that is lowered...I am not saying slam it but a 4" drop looks pretty clean in my opinion.

Quote: from Z16 on 1:27 pm on July 25, 2001

That's bad words around here. LOL

I agree with you LokiSLE, I appreciate any F/S Chevy/GMC lifted or lowered. Whatever you choose to do with your truck is your choice. My brother has a 95 F/S Silverado ext. cab with 20" wheels and is about to lay frame. Looks really good sitting next to my 6" suspension/3" body lifted Z71 ext. cab w/ 35" Goodyears!  From one extreme to the other!

FULL SIZE Chevydotcom: Can you break it down to me...I mean the method of dropping any pics would be nice...I am thinking of dropping my truck, and I am new to the world of lowering trucks. I lowered my Civic simply using lowering springs, and a 1.5degree camber correction kit for the rear end. I know cars, but I know the suspension is much different for a truck. Especially a full-size truck like i have. Hangers and Shackles???is that like a "U-Bolt" or what...I know that I may sound ignorant, but this is the place where I figure that I can learn from.

What is the most cost efficient way to drop my full-size truck? I don't think that I can just get some lowering springs can I???Thank you.

The first thing you want to do is figure out how much you want to lower your truck. You've stated 2/4. Several companies make drop kits for F/S Chevy's. Since we are so popular. BellTech makes a good kit as well as DJM, but stay away from AIM, even though they are heavily sponsored by Truckin' magazine. As far as the front goes. You will have to go drop coils. I recommend this way, you could get 2" drop spindles but it will affect your turning radius. Now for the back, You have a few more options, I'll start with the easiest and cheapest way first.

1: You could just pull a couple of leafs to gain a desired height. Downside to this is your rear gets a little bouncy and your tow rating decreases.

2: You could go with drop leafs. They replace your factory leafs and keep your tow rating.

3: You could also have someone de-arch your stock leafs to your desired height.

4: You could go with drop hangers and shackles. All they do is simply raise the position of your leafs to bring the frame closer to the ground.

I would recommend the last option. You keep your stock leafs and if you ever decide to go lower, you've already replaced the hangers/shackles.

There are a few more ways of getting the rearend to the ground but they would get you past they 4" mark. I have put together a list of manufacturers that make drop kits. Click here to see this page.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/suspension/index.shtml or here for some DJM info.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/suspension/djm.shtml

If

you have any more questions, please contact me.

Hope this helps, sorry for the novel.

I have checked with every manufacturer of drop leafs, and they say using this product will decrease the tow rating bt 15-25% depending on manufacturer. I decided if I have to go to all the trouble of installing a shackle and hanger, and I'll have the front apart anyway, I'm gonna airbag it. Keeps a good ride, can be done to haul just as much or more weight, and then will go as low as I want it. Any vehicle we've done with bags we've been more then happy with the outcome.

Thanks for the help fellas...I have decided that the 2/4 may still be a bit high. I am going out to Cali soon to find out what the best drop is going to be, maybe i can pick up some parts while i'm there. I will keep in touch with you mark. Thanks for the help.

BTW...Option #3 what kind of place will do that for me...that doesn't really seem like something that i want to do, but it is interesting.

In Cali any of these shops will do what you want. Stillen, California Customs USA, The Colonel(Traders), Master Image Customs, The Hack Shack, So-Cal Speed Shop, and The Drop Shop. I've been to most of these when I visited Cali last time and it's worth going to all of them to see all the cool rides in and around the shop. Last time I was there, everything I saw was at least a 4/6 drop. I'm going again at the end of Sept, can't wait.

i am going to be doing it by myself...i just need to find the springs and shackles at a reasonable price...and the demand will bring the price down in cali. you get my drift. hopefully it won't be long before i get to move there

You are right about price. If you can take the time to go to a few out of the way shops, you can find some great deals on parts. I wasn't sure I would let some of these shops work on my truck tho.

Archived