3.73 and posi-trac

I hope to have my Westers PCM by the end of the month which means bye-bye TM! :smash:

My next mod I'm thinking of doing after that is a set of 3.73's. I guess that will void the warranty on the rear end - or will it if I use GM parts? I think that will get me out of the hole and moving a little quicker. I do not have the locker (G80) or limited slip (G86) in my truck. I want both rear wheels connected to the driveline so I was wondering how hard it would be to install posi-trac.

Has anyone ever done this, cost, difficulty of install, or are there other or better options? :fume:

Thanks in advance!

Installation of gears should not be dont unless you are proficient in the process and posess the appropriate tools.

You have two choices, Limted Slip Differential (LSD) or a Spool (not good for driving).

Your new gears should be covered by the manufacturers warranty and/or the shops warranty.

Ive got 4.56's in my truck covered by both, and have an Auburn LSD which works much better than the factory G80 it came with.

Rock n Roll!

If you dont plan on going up to 35'' tires id go with 4.10's

Sorry i cant tell you the rate for my gears and LSD as i got it at employee discount at 4WP's

But i think the gears are about $200 each, maybe less and the LSD is about $350

Installation will run anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on who does it.

Good Luck!

If you dont plan on going up to 35'' tires id go with 4.10's

Sorry i cant tell you the rate for my gears and LSD as i got it at employee discount at 4WP's

But i think the gears are about $200 each, maybe less and the LSD is about $350

Installation will run anywhere from $500-$1000 depending on who does it.

Good Luck!

Thanks man! :fume::fume:

I'm not planning on raising the truck (it's not 4x4) or going to a larger rim/tire size. I'm looking to the 373 or 410 just to gain a little bit more low end out of the hole and for some towing not to compensate for rim/tire size.

Take it to a pro. Most offroad and 4wheel places do this stuff all day long. And no way will it cost $1000 for install. My friend had his 03" 2500HD done for $200 labor. I paid the same when I put 3.73's in my '00 Camaro SS. Gears themselves are less than $300 and thats including all new bearings. Be careful with 4.10's the tend to be all show and no go with small tires. By that I mean you will spin much more in low gears, just roasting the meats. Also with 4.10s your gas mileage will :(

Take it to a pro. Most offroad and 4wheel places do this stuff all day long. And no way will it cost $1000 for install. My friend had his 03" 2500HD done for $200 labor. I paid the same when I put 3.73's in my '00 Camaro SS. Gears themselves are less than $300 and thats including all new bearings. Be careful with 4.10's the tend to be all show and no go with small tires. By that I mean you will spin much more in low gears, just roasting the meats. Also with 4.10s your gas mileage will :cheers:

Thanks. :(

I am prob going to get the 373's I was just wondering about the 410's. The 373's were recommended to me by someone (friend of mine) who has built several trucks. I just wanted a few more opinions from you guys. :seeya:

Don't worry, I'm going to have a gear shop in town do the work!

Archived