In your opinions what would be the best bang for my buck when it comes to Component speakers? I'm looking currently at the following brands.

Infinity Kappa's or perfects

JL Audio

MB Quart

I'm open for more suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Randy

Man is that a loaded question!!!

It really depends on your taste.

The Quart's will usually be a little brighter than the others

The JL's are usually more mello unless you have insane amplification.

I like the Kappa line myself.  They usually don't have the power handling of the JL's, but are brighter.

All three brands make good quality stuff.  You just need to listen to each set to see what you prefer.  Make sure you use the same head unit, amp, and high pass crossover when you evaluate them.(you probably knew that already though)

Hi Randy:

Saw you message on over on the pics page, thought I'd answer it here. I have the MB Quart 6.5 inch components (QM 218.61Q) in the front doors...as you can see by the pics we had to move the crossovers under the rear seat. As far as I know, the fitment was not an issue (I'm no expert, believe me...had the system designed and installed professionally). The rear doors have QSD 213 5.25 inch MB Q components.

The JL Audio 10W3-D4's and the 500w/5ch JL Audio amp compliment the Q's perfectly...I really do love this system!

As far as "bang for the buck" goes, it really does depend on what you are willing to spend. I really had my heart set on a Nakamichi system, but the 10k price tag scared me off...but after hearing those incredible MB Quarts, I was SOLD!

Another option if you like it "bright" is to put a good co-axle in the lower hole and add a tweeter. I put Polk EX 6 1/2 in the door with the new EX3 tweets ( they come with a cross over) in the factory tweet hole. Very crisp good highs and a decent mid range. Bass is handled by a MTX 10" speaker and amp.

Thanks for all the reply's guys/lady's . I'm only willing to spend around $300-400 on the components for the front of the cab,I'm not going to bother replacing the rear speakers because I rarely have anyone back there and I'll just use the stock speakers for now. I have the fade more toward the front anyway. I have had a chance to listen to a few of the speakers I've mentioned and I really like the Infinity Kappa's but I have not had a chance to hear the MB's and I've heard that they sound great. I suppose I can't really go wrong with any of them so I'll just look for the best deal. I need to save some money for the amp and Basslink module I'm going to buy to round out the system.

Damn, I didn't think buying this truck was going to be so expensive. This is the first vehicle I've had that I just can't seem to stop upgrading. I've only owned it for 4 months now and have spend over $2500 already and the list keeps getting longer. any way thanks again for all your help.

Randy

I know what you mean by the upgrading.  I have this image of counting change to pay the guy at the local truck accessory store(haven't come to that point...yet).

Are you going to do the install or get the shop to do it?

With regards to the rear speakers...For around $100 you could put some really amazing Kappa's back there.  I LOVE mine.  They put out more than the factory front speakers.

Randy:

Yep, I think it's a real sickness...I'm thinkin' about a second mortgage on the house...that 6 inch RCD and 35's are callin' to me now!

Good luck on your system upgrade...no matter what you do, it'll put that crappy stock system to shame. But then again, you'd think for the king's ransom we pay for these trucks, GM could provide a decent stock stereo... ???

there really is no "best" since everyone hears things differently. so listen to what your interested in. i personally love my DEI Studio series components. and probably will build some custom enclosers to mount some in my TR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived