Navi: Advent Vs. Rosen Vs. Myron & Davis Vs. Metra

Hi all,

Rec'd today from Advent is the most comprehensive comparison to date of features across all the "factory look alike" navi systems from Advent, Rosen, Myron & Davis (Rosen clone) and Metra ("dealer-only" lower-priced line of lookalike navi from one of the biggest installation kit makers). I sell or can get all of them, but the only ones we have hands-on experience with in GM vehicles are the Advent and Rosen.

Some "features" are pretty blatantly skewed in Advent's favor (which is standard marketing BS), but overall it really [i]is[/i] a very accurate view of what each system does and does not include.

It's also a pretty good reference for someone who's thinking about going with a pure aftermarket navi or A/V deck like Kenwood or Pioneer in that it lists features that you may not be aware of or features that will be lost when the factory deck comes out or won't function like factory when using aftermarket data adaptors.

I'm going to suggest that they put the factory GM navi in this list as well to see how it stacks up (but I already know...) :)

[url="http://www.adcmobile.com/product/advent/OE_Radio_Comparison_Matrix.pdf"]Read the Comparison Report[/url]

Walt
www.adcmobile.com

No, the only XM tuner that works is the CNP2000 with a CNP-JEN1 adaptor cable - the CNP2000 is the programmable unit that works with all aftermarket units with the correct adaptor cables

Walt
www.adcmobile.com

the biggest question I have is the use of the Rear Ent. Controls, aside from video, do any of these allow for the rear passenger to use the rear autio controls to listen to a different AM/FM station or Different Band AM/FM/XM from the driver..

my daughter routinely uses this feature to listen to her choice of music thru the headphone while I listen to mine up front.

also do any of these support the OnStar Map download (where you can call onstar, or go to google and send your destination or routes to the car, and it downloads to the unit).

this is a big one for me, I hate planning multiple waypoints into the GPS from the touch screen, with the OnStar service when we plan trips with mulitple stops (way points) I can map all of it in google maps then click the send icon, enter my onstar login info, and go out to the truck, dial OnStar virtual advisor and it downloads the whole route to my GPS.

The last trip we took this past summer, was planned with 14 stops from CA, to AZ, to NV, to UT and back, gas stops, rest stops, camping/hiking locations, and site seeing recommendations.

Trying to enter 14 waypoints into a touch screen is near impossible, and takes forever, in google maps I planned the whole trip in roughly 30 minutes.. and it was Spot on in the Nav.

--

my issue, or continuing issue with the OEM system is the horrible ipod support.. I have been to the dealer 4 times for a total of 19 days so far trying to correct the issues (popping and clicking with ipod playback, and random freezing/locking up of the OEM unit during ipod playback) both issues force a key cycle to correct, which as you can imagine driving on a highway is not practical, so either we do without the ipod or we do without music/video completely until our next stop.

[quote name='old-chevy-dude' post='1198048' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:55 AM']the biggest question I have is the use of the Rear Ent. Controls, aside from video, do any of these allow for the rear passenger to use the rear autio controls to listen to a different AM/FM station or Different Band AM/FM/XM from the driver..

my daughter routinely uses this feature to listen to her choice of music thru the headphone while I listen to mine up front.

also do any of these support the OnStar Map download (where you can call onstar, or go to google and send your destination or routes to the car, and it downloads to the unit).

this is a big one for me, I hate planning multiple waypoints into the GPS from the touch screen, with the OnStar service when we plan trips with mulitple stops (way points) I can map all of it in google maps then click the send icon, enter my onstar login info, and go out to the truck, dial OnStar virtual advisor and it downloads the whole route to my GPS.

The last trip we took this past summer, was planned with 14 stops from CA, to AZ, to NV, to UT and back, gas stops, rest stops, camping/hiking locations, and site seeing recommendations.

Trying to enter 14 waypoints into a touch screen is near impossible, and takes forever, in google maps I planned the whole trip in roughly 30 minutes.. and it was Spot on in the Nav.

--

my issue, or continuing issue with the OEM system is the horrible ipod support.. I have been to the dealer 4 times for a total of 19 days so far trying to correct the issues (popping and clicking with ipod playback, and random freezing/locking up of the OEM unit during ipod playback) both issues force a key cycle to correct, which as you can imagine driving on a highway is not practical, so either we do without the ipod or we do without music/video completely until our next stop.[/quote]

The OGM-1 will allow rear seat passengers to change channels on AM/FM and change tracks on CD or DVD from rear seat controls. If the front seat passengers are playing a different (non AM/FM) source, rear seat passengers can listen to whatever stations they want and change channels at will. There is no dual tuner that allows different AM or FM stations to play in front and back. Are you SURE the GM navi does it?

Rear seat passengers can listen to whatever XM channel is playing on the navi, but CANNOT change the channel. If rear seat passengers want to change the XM channel, the driver has to change it, then go back to the source they were previously listening to.

As far as OnStar downloading map data to the navi: Only the GM unit will do this, but as noted below (on the directions and connections plan), you will be paying a pretty high price to gain that functionality...

[img]http://www.adcmobile.com/product/onstar/onstar_pricing.jpg[/img]

As for iPod support: We usually tell people to use another iPod for awhile and see if the issues go away. If they do, get another (newer) iPod. If not, talk to your dealer and see what features the factory USB is supposed to support. My guess is that not all iPods are supported (hell, even Apple doesn't support all the older ones anymore!), and on those that are, not all features are supported...

Walt
www.adcmobile.com

[quote name='ADC Mobile' post='1198109' date='Aug 29 2011, 01:36 PM'][quote name='old-chevy-dude' post='1198048' date='Aug 29 2011, 09:55 AM']the biggest question I have is the use of the Rear Ent. Controls, aside from video, do any of these allow for the rear passenger to use the rear autio controls to listen to a different AM/FM station or Different Band AM/FM/XM from the driver..

--

my issue, or continuing issue with the OEM system is the horrible ipod support.. I have been to the dealer 4 times for a total of 19 days so far trying to correct the issues (popping and clicking with ipod playback, and random freezing/locking up of the OEM unit during ipod playback) both issues force a key cycle to correct, which as you can imagine driving on a highway is not practical, so either we do without the ipod or we do without music/video completely until our next stop.[/quote]

The OGM-1 will allow rear seat passengers to change channels on AM/FM and change tracks on CD or DVD from rear seat controls. If the front seat passengers are playing a different (non AM/FM) source, rear seat passengers can listen to whatever stations they want and change channels at will. There is no dual tuner that allows different AM or FM stations to play in front and back. Are you SURE the GM navi does it?

Rear seat passengers can listen to whatever XM channel is playing on the navi, but CANNOT change the channel. If rear seat passengers want to change the XM channel, the driver has to change it, then go back to the source they were previously listening to.

As far as OnStar downloading map data to the navi: Only the GM unit will do this, but as noted below (on the directions and connections plan), you will be paying a pretty high price to gain that functionality...

[img]http://www.adcmobile.com/product/onstar/onstar_pricing.jpg[/img]

As for iPod support: We usually tell people to use another iPod for awhile and see if the issues go away. If they do, get another (newer) iPod. If not, talk to your dealer and see what features the factory USB is supposed to support. My guess is that not all iPods are supported (hell, even Apple doesn't support all the older ones anymore!), and on those that are, not all features are supported...

Walt
www.adcmobile.com
[/quote]

thanks for the info.

yes my rear passenger can choose whatever AM/FM station they wish, different from the front, They cannot listen to AM if front is on FM, but they can listen to a different station, both with the AM/FM or XM. That is clearly stated in the owners manual as well, RSA can choose their own station as long as they are on the same Band as the front unit, and they can be on CD/DVD/XM/FM different from the front (i.e. I can be listening to XM and they can watch a DVD or listen to FM).

The OnStar services you listed above I have for free for the next 2 years, no concerned with pricing at this time.

Ipod issue. This is an ongoing and known issue with GM, I and my dealer have tested 4 different ipods with 4 different O/S's and all are on the approved PAL list. They have replaced my Headunit, USB module, and OnStar Module thus far at the advice of GTAC, they have run the firmware updates per several TSB's and the issue continues, GM Engineering is well aware of the issue and I have an open ongoing case with them.

The issue is that the Ipod will pop and click like an old LP record (and yes the TSB for this has been applied) and it will freeze the ipod and lock up the headunit and DIC forcing me to key off the truck, unplug the ipod and restart the truck to clear it.

Happens with an Ipod Video Gen 5.5, Ipod Touch Gen 2, Gen 3 and Gen 4 and Iphone, all have been tested all have the issue and the GM engineers are baffled. They are considering reimbursing me the $2500 GPS/Nav option price I paid so as to allow me to go aftermarket, I am awaiting final approval from GM for this. Thus far they have given me my OnStar and XM free for 3 years as compensation for the time my truck has been at the dealer for the same issue.. Nothing else wrong with the truck so I am not concerned about a lemon law or buy back and GM has been great trying to fix and compensate me, however it is a problem with the programming of their modules and they have no plans to correct the programming, cheaper to buy off the half dozen people that have and complain about the issues.

WOW! Amazing that they can't figure out what the issue is, but from what I've heard from multiple engineers, Apple DOES NOT play well with others and their s**t never stinks, so it's sometimes almost impossible to figure out issues if it requires their input to do it.

I know about the "path of least resistance" though - we've been in dozens of situations like yours and have had to replace factory gear - it's easier to pull the factory stuff and have us install aftermarket than continue with the hassle of trying to fix it (and run afoul of Lemon Laws).

If it ever comes to having to pull the factory and go with something else, I'll be happy to give you the straight scoop about aftermarket stuff...

Walt
www.adcmobile.com

[quote name='ADC Mobile' post='1198138' date='Aug 29 2011, 03:10 PM']WOW! Amazing that they can't figure out what the issue is, but from what I've heard from multiple engineers, Apple DOES NOT play well with others and their s**t never stinks, so it's sometimes almost impossible to figure out issues if it requires their input to do it.

I know about the "path of least resistance" though - we've been in dozens of situations like yours and have had to replace factory gear - it's easier to pull the factory stuff and have us install aftermarket than continue with the hassle of trying to fix it (and run afoul of Lemon Laws).

If it ever comes to having to pull the factory and go with something else, I'll be happy to give you the straight scoop about aftermarket stuff...

Walt
www.adcmobile.com[/quote]

big thanks.

actually I am trying to get them to buy me the Advent from you, just gotta go thru the red tape..

[quote name='Blue Bear Farms Ent.' post='1198140' date='Aug 29 2011, 03:29 PM']With the advent can you disable the rear controls?[/quote]

As far as I know, they control the deck via CAN data, so I don't think you'd be able to.

However, the poor man's way of disabling them is to not give your rear seat passengers any headphones... :)

Walt
www.adcmobile.com

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ADC Mobile' post='1197485' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:42 PM']Hi all,

Rec'd today from Advent is the most comprehensive comparison to date of features across all the "factory look alike" navi systems from Advent, Rosen, Myron & Davis (Rosen clone) and Metra ("dealer-only" lower-priced line of lookalike navi from one of the biggest installation kit makers). I sell or can get all of them, but the only ones we have hands-on experience with in GM vehicles are the Advent and Rosen.

Some "features" are pretty blatantly skewed in Advent's favor (which is standard marketing BS), but overall it really [i]is[/i] a very accurate view of what each system does and does not include.

It's also a pretty good reference for someone who's thinking about going with a pure aftermarket navi or A/V deck like Kenwood or Pioneer in that it lists features that you may not be aware of or features that will be lost when the factory deck comes out or won't function like factory when using aftermarket data adaptors.

I'm going to suggest that they put the factory GM navi in this list as well to see how it stacks up (but I already know...) :lol:

[url="http://www.adcmobile.com/product/advent/OE_Radio_Comparison_Matrix.pdf"]Read the Comparison Report[/url]

Walt

Hi, I just came across this post and am hoping you can help me. We just bought a 2010 Yukon XL SLE from a dealership and had them install a navigation system and DVD player. We specified that we wanted to have all the functionality that a factory installed one would have. Well, of course that didn't work out to well. They had an external company come and put in a Rosen nav and an Advent DVD player (which we had them switch to the PS2 when we found out that was an option). All kinds of things didn't work and we had to bring it back. They fixed some of them but not all of it almost 3 weeks ago.

The dealership and the electronics place have been passing everything back and forth and not doing anything. (The guy who originally installed it quit in between all this.) After saying that it's impossible to do anything else the electronics place finally said yesterday that they can fix some of it for an additional $500 but not all of it. The general manager from the dealership was away for about a week but I finally got to speak to him this morning. He said that they'll cover any additional cost to get it working properly but also admitted they don't know anything about how any of this should work. We are going into the dealership to meet with him tomorrow and try to get it all straightened out (hopefully.) Could you help me explain to them what needs to be done to fix it, or if it can't be fixed if there is another system that would work better for us (and maybe some links to stuff for us to print to prove our points)? My husband is ready to just get them take out the whole system and just buy a bunch of iPad 2's to use for the same cost.

A bit of backgroud: We have 3 kids, take long trips multiple times a year (closest family members are an hour away, the next closest are 3 hours away and they just get farther and farther after that within Canada and the US) and I have a home daycare. So when we bought a "luxury vehicle" with all the extras to make long rides enjoyable we'd like to be able to enjoy our rides without dealing with all the portable stuff. Even with short trips with my daycare kids I'd like to be able to quickly put a DVD in and be able to easily control it to keep them all happy.

Here is a list of what we want it to do (and current problems/concerns):

1. Navigation - We can't seem to get the voice navigation to use street names all of the time. We can get most of the small side streets to use the names but main roads will only be announced using route numbers. Which makes it difficult to navigate when street signs are only displayed with street names. (We are also pretty much surrounded by mostly major roads where we live.)
2. DVD - They didn't connect the DVD player to the main Rosen system. This means we can't play DVD's from the front to display on the rear screen. They are supposed to fix this but keep saying that it still won't play the DVD's unless we are in park with the emergency break on. The Rosen manual say's we can, so I guess we'll wait and see. We want to be able to put a movie in and control it from the front. The kids can't reach the overhead to change the movie, the kids lose the remote, they scratch the discs, etc. And when all the kids want to watch a movie we want to be able to play the audio clearly through the speakers, not with the FM modulator with interference.
3. Rear seat radio - Currently we can only listen to whatever is playing on the main Rosen system through the headphones. For example, if we are listening to the iPod in the front, then the headphones that are plugged into the rear console also have the same thing from the iPod playing. If we are listening to a CD then the CD is playing on the headphones. Have the rear console and using headphones is really useless if we can't listen to something different. And the radio just won't play through the back no matter what we do. (I don't even care if we need to control it from the front, I just want to let my oldest listen to her music while we listen to ours and our youngest kids watch a movie on the overhead.)
4. The Rosen system uses a SD card for the navigation but one spot in the manual specifies in tiny little print that "The content on the NAV SD Card contains a License Code. This code can not be moved to different cards. If the Card is Lost or Damaged in anyway, it will render the Navigation system inoperable. Damaged or deleted files on the Nav SD Card are NOT covered under the product Warranty." So, if the card they provided fails the entire system needs to be replaced??? That's insane since SD cards fail all the time. That's why I always copy the pictures from my expensive cameras to my computer and a back up CD as soon as I get the chance. I know the electronics place and dealership can't change the way that works or Rosen's warranty but I'd like to know if all major systems operate this way? Or if there is an alternative system that we could use. We want to be able to update stuff without worrying that we will lose the whole system.
5. Works with OnStar. There is OnStar pre-installed with the mirror. I don't know if it's different system than the stereo or not but we are thinking of keeping the basic OnStar service.
6. Works with XM. When we take really long trips and vacations we'd like the option of using XM.
7. Works with iPods, iPhones, etc. Or that we can connect it to a USB port using our own apple cable.
8. The Yukon has built in bluetooth. I think it's seperate from the bluetooth systems in the stereo so I don't really care if it has bluetooth or not. (I paired our phones with using the steering wheel and then when we were playing with the Rosen we had to again pair them through the Rosen.)
9. Steering wheel controls. I like them but it's not the end of the world if I can't control the stereo but I still want to control the phone.

I think I've got most of it. Basically we want it to function as close as possible to what it would have been had everything been pre-installed in the factory. (I don't care if it looks different, I just want it to work right.)

I would really appreciate any suggestions and comments. Hopefully my post was clear and easy to read since I've had a million interuptions from the kids.

Thanks,

Amanda

[quote name='abrownrigg' post='1207534' date='Oct 5 2011, 04:33 PM'][quote name='ADC Mobile' post='1197485' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:42 PM']Hi all,

I'm going to suggest that they put the factory GM navi in this list as well to see how it stacks up (but I already know...) :lol:

Walt

Hi, I just came across this post and am hoping you can help me. We just bought a 2010 Yukon XL SLE from a dealership and had them install a navigation system and DVD player. We specified that we wanted to have all the functionality that a factory installed one would have. Well, of course that didn't work out to well. They had an external company come and put in a Rosen nav and an Advent DVD player (which we had them switch to the PS2 when we found out that was an option). All kinds of things didn't work and we had to bring it back. They fixed some of them but not all of it almost 3 weeks ago.

The dealership and the electronics place have been passing everything back and forth and not doing anything. (The guy who originally installed it quit in between all this.) After saying that it's impossible to do anything else the electronics place finally said yesterday that they can fix some of it for an additional $500 but not all of it. The general manager from the dealership was away for about a week but I finally got to speak to him this morning. He said that they'll cover any additional cost to get it working properly but also admitted they don't know anything about how any of this should work. We are going into the dealership to meet with him tomorrow and try to get it all straightened out (hopefully.) Could you help me explain to them what needs to be done to fix it, or if it can't be fixed if there is another system that would work better for us (and maybe some links to stuff for us to print to prove our points)? My husband is ready to just get them take out the whole system and just buy a bunch of iPad 2's to use for the same cost.

A bit of backgroud: We have 3 kids, take long trips multiple times a year (closest family members are an hour away, the next closest are 3 hours away and they just get farther and farther after that within Canada and the US) and I have a home daycare. So when we bought a "luxury vehicle" with all the extras to make long rides enjoyable we'd like to be able to enjoy our rides without dealing with all the portable stuff. Even with short trips with my daycare kids I'd like to be able to quickly put a DVD in and be able to easily control it to keep them all happy.

1. Navigation - We can't seem to get the voice navigation to use street names all of the time. We can get most of the small side streets to use the names but main roads will only be announced using route numbers. Which makes it difficult to navigate when street signs are only displayed with street names. (We are also pretty much surrounded by mostly major roads where we live.)
2. DVD - They didn't connect the DVD player to the main Rosen system. This means we can't play DVD's from the front to display on the rear screen. They are supposed to fix this but keep saying that it still won't play the DVD's unless we are in park with the emergency break on. The Rosen manual say's we can, so I guess we'll wait and see. We want to be able to put a movie in and control it from the front. The kids can't reach the overhead to change the movie, the kids lose the remote, they scratch the discs, etc. And when all the kids want to watch a movie we want to be able to play the audio clearly through the speakers, not with the FM modulator with interference.
3. Rear seat radio - Currently we can only listen to whatever is playing on the main Rosen system through the headphones. For example, if we are listening to the iPod in the front, then the headphones that are plugged into the rear console also have the same thing from the iPod playing. If we are listening to a CD then the CD is playing on the headphones. Have the rear console and using headphones is really useless if we can't listen to something different. And the radio just won't play through the back no matter what we do. (I don't even care if we need to control it from the front, I just want to let my oldest listen to her music while we listen to ours and our youngest kids watch a movie on the overhead.)
4. The Rosen system uses a SD card for the navigation but one spot in the manual specifies in tiny little print that "The content on the NAV SD Card contains a License Code. This code can not be moved to different cards. If the Card is Lost or Damaged in anyway, it will render the Navigation system inoperable. Damaged or deleted files on the Nav SD Card are NOT covered under the product Warranty." So, if the card they provided fails the entire system needs to be replaced??? That's insane since SD cards fail all the time. That's why I always copy the pictures from my expensive cameras to my computer and a back up CD as soon as I get the chance. I know the electronics place and dealership can't change the way that works or Rosen's warranty but I'd like to know if all major systems operate this way? Or if there is an alternative system that we could use. We want to be able to update stuff without worrying that we will lose the whole system.
5. Works with OnStar. There is OnStar pre-installed with the mirror. I don't know if it's different system than the stereo or not but we are thinking of keeping the basic OnStar service.
6. Works with XM. When we take really long trips and vacations we'd like the option of using XM.
7. Works with iPods, iPhones, etc. Or that we can connect it to a USB port using our own apple cable.
8. The Yukon has built in bluetooth. I think it's seperate from the bluetooth systems in the stereo so I don't really care if it has bluetooth or not. (I paired our phones with using the steering wheel and then when we were playing with the Rosen we had to again pair them through the Rosen.)
9. Steering wheel controls. I like them but it's not the end of the world if I can't control the stereo but I still want to control the phone.

I think I've got most of it. Basically we want it to function as close as possible to what it would have been had everything been pre-installed in the factory. (I don't care if it looks different, I just want it to work right.)

I would really appreciate any suggestions and comments. Hopefully my post was clear and easy to read since I've had a million interuptions from the kids.

Thanks,

Amanda

[/quote]

Wow, big list o' stuff! here's the scoop in as few words as possible.

We sell both the Rosen and Advent GM navi units, so I can pretty much compare them both for you (and you really should watch the videos I reference below to get an idea for yourself how things work on the Advent), but in summary, you might be happier with an Advent unit in place of the Rosen for what you need it to do. You also need to put the screws to your dealer to make it right, no matter what unit you use:

Point #1: Try a different voice - if you use a GPS voice that's NOT a "TTS" voice, you will not get street names.
#2: Your installer should have hooked it up in that type of system - we always do. The Rosen is set up to do rear entertainment, but your installer has to supply the right harness for it. This will play in motion, no problem. To enable DVD playback on the front screen in motion (for passenger use ONLY): on the Rosen, go to the AV source, touch the arrows in the upper right corner, when keypad lights up, enter "7253" enter - choose "Brake:off", cycle the key
#3: Advent won't let you play a different station on front and back (there's only one tuner in the box) but you can listen to different sources.
#4: Everyone sells the database on the card with a license (including Advent). If you wipe the Rosen card, you wipe the license. Having said that, a new card is $80...
#5 through #9: Advent works better than the Rosen in every area. See the videos I just shot last Friday in a 2012 Silverado showing every function: [url="http://www.adcmobile.com/category/navigation/navigation-advent/advent-navigation-gm/advent-gm-navi-chevrolet/"]http://www.adcmobile.com/category/navigati...navi-chevrolet/[/url] If you watch these, you can compare the operation of the Advent vs. the Rosen in every area. I think the Advent will outperform the Rosen just about everywhere with the possible exception of a slight advantage to the Rosen in the navi (and even then, it's only because the Rosen comes set up way better out of the box than the Advent. You can customize the Advent, but it will take a night to do it...)

OnStar & XM both work no problem, and the XM on the Advent is better than factory.

The Bluetooth section goes to Advent hands down since it does phonebook display, 10 devices and 1000 contacts per device, along with Bluetooth audio. Rosen won't do phonebook at all, only call lists. You can always still use the factory one, but once you try the Advent, you won't go back...

iPod/USB goes to the Advent since it's USB 2.0 and Apple certified for iPod. Rosen is a proprietary interface that doesn't work nearly as well or as fast.

Rear camera and sensors go to the Advent too.

In any case, feel free to use these impressions with your dealer, and if you have questions feel free to call me on the number next to my name on the top of our website.

Walt
www.adcmobile.com

[quote name='ADC Mobile' post='1207602' date='Oct 5 2011, 10:25 PM'][quote name='abrownrigg' post='1207534' date='Oct 5 2011, 04:33 PM'][quote name='ADC Mobile' post='1197485' date='Aug 26 2011, 09:42 PM']Hi all,

Walt

Thanks,

Amanda

[/quote]

Wow, big list o' stuff! here's the scoop in as few words as possible.

We sell both the Rosen and Advent GM navi units, so I can pretty much compare them both for you (and you really should watch the videos I reference below to get an idea for yourself how things work on the Advent), but in summary, you might be happier with an Advent unit in place of the Rosen for what you need it to do. You also need to put the screws to your dealer to make it right, no matter what unit you use:

Point #1: Try a different voice - if you use a GPS voice that's NOT a "TTS" voice, you will not get street names.
#2: Your installer should have hooked it up in that type of system - we always do. The Rosen is set up to do rear entertainment, but your installer has to supply the right harness for it. This will play in motion, no problem. To enable DVD playback on the front screen in motion (for passenger use ONLY): on the Rosen, go to the AV source, touch the arrows in the upper right corner, when keypad lights up, enter "7253" enter - choose "Brake:off", cycle the key
#3: Advent won't let you play a different station on front and back (there's only one tuner in the box) but you can listen to different sources.
#4: Everyone sells the database on the card with a license (including Advent). If you wipe the Rosen card, you wipe the license. Having said that, a new card is $80...
#5 through #9: Advent works better than the Rosen in every area. See the videos I just shot last Friday in a 2012 Silverado showing every function: [url="http://www.adcmobile.com/category/navigation/navigation-advent/advent-navigation-gm/advent-gm-navi-chevrolet/"]http://www.adcmobile.com/category/navigati...navi-chevrolet/[/url] If you watch these, you can compare the operation of the Advent vs. the Rosen in every area. I think the Advent will outperform the Rosen just about everywhere with the possible exception of a slight advantage to the Rosen in the navi (and even then, it's only because the Rosen comes set up way better out of the box than the Advent. You can customize the Advent, but it will take a night to do it...)

OnStar & XM both work no problem, and the XM on the Advent is better than factory.

The Bluetooth section goes to Advent hands down since it does phonebook display, 10 devices and 1000 contacts per device, along with Bluetooth audio. Rosen won't do phonebook at all, only call lists. You can always still use the factory one, but once you try the Advent, you won't go back...

iPod/USB goes to the Advent since it's USB 2.0 and Apple certified for iPod. Rosen is a proprietary interface that doesn't work nearly as well or as fast.

Rear camera and sensors go to the Advent too.

In any case, feel free to use these impressions with your dealer, and if you have questions feel free to call me on the number next to my name on the top of our website.

Walt
www.adcmobile.com
[/quote]

Thanks!!! I've passed this on to my husband. The manager invited him be with them on Thursday while they fix everything to make sure it gets done right so we don't need to go back. The manager has said that they've never had problems like this from the company before and has also said that they will do whatever needs to be done to make it work right and they'll cover all the costs. The place they deal with doesn't usually put in Advent navs but if they don't get the Rosen going right we will request that they put the Advent in anyways. (Don't know why they don't do the Advent nav, they do the DVDs.) Oh, and we have tried all the voices, including the TTS ones and they still anounce all the main roads as route numbers. (I've asked them to find out how to get this going right too.)

I saw alot of youtube clips on the rosen and the nav problems especially with the voices. The nav software is called iGO and it is actually very good when it is working right. I am running the same one on my phone. It is very memory intensive and can have many of the same problems I see posted for the rosen if I have too many programs running. Especially the TTS which requires not only alot more memory but also alot more of the CPU cycles.

Sounds like your dealership will take care of you, which they should. You should not have to deal with the other company at all since they are their subcontractor and not yours.

Ernie

So we are still working things out. :thumbs:

The electronics place didn't order the proper harness even though the dealership said for them to get it. Don't know why. The manager from the dealership wasn't in yesterday when they "fixed" everything (in fact they only got one part of one problem fixed). The manager called my husband today to get an update and wasn't happy about it. My husband told him about the Advent system so he is going to talk to them about getting one instead of the Rosen. Hopefully it gets done right this time around.

Oh, and the Rosen Nav completely froze on us today. It was recalculating a route and stopped completely. Everything else worked but the Nav. Hopefully it resets itself.

Archived