Truck thinks its being stolen?

My dad has an 01 sierra 1500hd. If he opens the driver door gets in and tries to start the truck very quickly, it will actually go into a self lock mode. It wont allow him to start it for 20 mins. The doors dont lock so he can get out and go to a store or whatever while he waits.

He has to get in sit there for a few seconds then put the key in, turn it to run then turn to start.

Wondering if anyone has heard of this? It was very annoying issue until he honed in on how to change his habits. Its left him in parking lots having to wait for the truck.

Has it done it since new? Or has it done it since he has owned it (if he didn't buy it new)? Any mods before it started acting up if it hasn't done it since he bought it? As I'm sure you know it's not normal, but there is no "self lock mode" that I know of.

Its happened since new. Actually now that you mention it, he did have heating elements for the leather seats and remote start installed. I bet one of these might have something to do with it. I will have to ask him about that one of these days.

Archived