2010 silverado rolling 2ft while in park

5.3 with 6spd, 51,000 miles

When I put the truck in park, I can push the truck by hand about 1.5 to 2ft, then it will stop abruptly.

I have been loading in a 1183 lb polaris rzr into the bed, as well as towing a 26ft toy hauler,

Is it possible I load the rzr to fast and wore out a part ?

Sometimes when I load the rzr, I notice it rolls a little, now it rolls all the time..

Is this covered under the drivetrain warranty? Dealer said they will diagnose it for $80 and IF it's covered under warranty they will wave it ?

If it's not covered, I will probably put off fixing it and just use the parking brake

Any vehicle with an automatic trans will roll back and forth in P. The parking pawl is what stops the pickup from moving while in P. It's not like engaging a brake that prevents all movement, but rather a device to stop the vehicle from rolling away.

If you saw how small the pawl is, you'd be shocked. They are tough, but not invincible. If you are actively loading the pawl (loading the bed or trailer so the pickup rocks back and forth) you should be using the parking brake. The brake is much more suited to keeping the pickup stationary under load.

This also goes for parking on steep inclines, like boat ramps. Not the best for the pawl to have the entire pickup's weight resting on it. Before exiting the pickup, set the emergency brake, then shift to P. When leaving, shift to D then release the emergency brake. Doing so (in this order) completely takes the parking pawl out of the equation.

Ok, so let's assume I damaged the parking pawl, I now know to use the parking brake first in the order you described.

Is the dealer going to say this is a wear item and not covered? Is this normal wear item ? (According to them)!

Basically are they going to say this is not a manufacturing defect and therefore not covered ?

Anyone know ?

Something is broken inside for sure ,

Pan has to off at a minimum and maybe able to see the pawl ,

Shop time , sounds like the dealer wants to @&$k you ,

Don't tell them anything about the polaris loading , your transmission broke , that's all they need to know

I tried putting my truck in park 3 times in a row and getting out and pushing it, all 3 times it only rolled 4 inches. Guess it was a fluke ?

I tried putting my truck in park 3 times in a row and getting out and pushing it, all 3 times it only rolled 4 inches. Guess it was a fluke ?

Archived