Electronic throttle vs. Cable throttle

I want to hear from those of you who have the electronic throttle. Especially those with high mileage. What are your experiences with it? Any problems after time? I just found out my truck has the electronic throttle control. I never noticed when I bought the truck, and I swear I can't tell the difference from my old truck with the cable throttle. Is it that good, or can I expect it to act like a sticky throttle position sensor when it gets old?

only time will tell. When I first got my truck, I was shocked when i put it in cruise and the pedal wasn't moving. At least the throttle cable can't get stretched out, but with electronics who knows. What year was something like this first offered?

I was going to post the same question, As I also just found out that I have the "drive By Wire" throttle.

do all of thel 4.8 & 5.3's have the drive by wire or just the ones with traction control?

My Vette has it and it definitely feels different. I'm sure my 99 5.3 doesn't have it as when the throttle body needs cleaning it is obvious. I wonder what the symptoms would be for a sticky throttle body and "fly by wire"?

I personally am glad I don't have it. I think they first started using it in 02, maybe 01.

I'm not afraid of electronics or electronic controls, I love EFI, power windows, locks, climate control, computers, etc. I've added lots of electronic gizmos to my truck so I'm not one of those people that likes crank windows because it's "one less thing to break".

However, I don't like the electronic throttle because: 1) it doesn't accomplish anything for the driver, it's primary benefit is it saves GM some money due to fewer parts (cruise servo and controller now no longer needed, IAC motor no longer needed). 2) It reduces driver feedback, you can no longer feel if your throttle is sticking. 3) It really IS something else that could cause problems and be very difficult to diagnose. I'll bet the only way to know for certain that the electronic throttle is sticking or not working like it should, is to check for DTC's with a Tech 2 scan tool.

To me, this electronic throttle just seems a lot of complication for zero gains for the consumer. All gains are to save GM money, and from the prices GM charges for their trucks, these gains are NOT reflected in the price the consumer pays.

2003 is the first year for the electronically controlled throttle across the board on the Silverados & Sierras. This coincides with an all new multiplexed wiring system.

The electronic throttle is about 20% open in closed position, which should nearly eliminate sticking throttle plates due to carbon deposits.

You are correct sir. I just installed my Volant system tonight, and noticed the butterfly was cracked open. Like someone else said, only time will tell how this compares to the cable. Thanks for the response guys.

The electronic throttle is about 20% open in closed position, which should nearly eliminate sticking throttle plates due to carbon deposits.

I never woulda guessed....Thanks for the info. :fume:

Why doesn't the engine "runaway" with it open?

2003 is the first year for the electronically controlled throttle across the board on the Silverados & Sierras.  This coincides with an all new multiplexed wiring system.

SinisterSS hit the nail on the head for the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 getting drive by wire in 2003 however all 8.1’s and 6.6 Duramax diesels have had drive by wire since they were introduced in the 2001 HD’s.

Also, medium duty started using drive by wire on 1999 on the LP4 454 and GM marine powertrains have been drive by wire for about the same time.

In my opinion, drive by wire is just one more thing to go wrong

It doesn't "runaway" with the throttle partly open because the computer ain't given it any more fuel.

I thought there might be a little more to it than that. A bad injector could give you some big surprises.

Archived