2009 1500 front diferential

PPV

I noticed a clicking noise coming from the front end of my 09 4wd 1500. Put it on the lift and discovered the driver side seal leaked and the output is sloppy when I wiggled the half shaft. Is this common? Is it typically a bearing or are there other hard parts that typically fail?

Thanks in advance for any input or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar situation on my 2005. Went to replace half shaft and seal and noticed the output flange moved a little more than what seemed normal. Explains why the seal wore out I guess. Ended up just putting a new seal and shaft in and it ran for a 50k more miles with no issues. I think they just get a little loose but if you can't hear it howl in 4wd it's probably ok and not a shot bearing.

I had a similar situation on my 2005. Went to replace half shaft and seal and noticed the output flange moved a little more than what seemed normal. Explains why the seal wore out I guess. Ended up just putting a new seal and shaft in and it ran for a 50k more miles with no issues. I think they just get a little loose but if you can't hear it howl in 4wd it's probably ok and not a shot bearing.

Not hearing a grind just a clicking noise from the output shaft but will confirm by putting it in 4wd. I checked to output shaft cost with GM and it ain’t cheap. Are they available aftermarket?

Ninja edit: answered my own question.

https://www.ebay.com/i/311944080354

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived