05 sierra 1500 4x4 park brake issues

Spawnedoutgobey

Question

Hey there. I have an 05 sierra that as been giving me park brake issues. I bought new shoes and drums for the rear as well.as new cables.and installed them last year. Still no fix. When I  push on the pedal it feels.loose and brake doesn't grab at all. I can pull the cable under the cab and that makes the pedal feel tight but still no grab. When I pull up on the brake release the pedal.does not come all the way up and I have to help it with my foot to make it all the way up. Should I be able to pull the cable under my truck and create slack? What can I do. I need my park brake. I use.my teuck for work and pleasure and don't feel comfortable backing my boat town the ramp.or parking on a slope with or without a load. I press the brake down and it still rolls onto the pin. 

2 answers to this question

Not entirely sure I am understanding what you are trying to say. To me, it sounds like you are describing what happens when the parking brake cables are not routed correctly under the truck. 

I don't have that generation of truck to refer to, but, I think you have one or two of the following issues:

1.  Incorrectly routed middle cable leading to the cable being too long. 

2.  Front cable starting to seize up. 

3.  Incorrectly adjusted parking brake. 

4.  Parking brake components incorrectly installed/setup. 

The first place I would look is the routing of the intermediate cable.  Make sure you have all the correct hangers and they are where they are supposed to be.  

Get a helper and take a look at one sides brake shoe action when your helper applies the parking brake.  You should see the brake shoes moving.  Only expose one side at a time for that test. You are looking for the shoes to move in both directions. Double check that all parts are installed correctly. 

May have to adjust your cable linkage. Should not be any slack. But start simple. As the above guy said, see if there's movement at the brake shoes, if not, work your way back to the pedal.

If you need to help the pedal back up, the teeth on the pedal may be worn or not connected to the cable any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk