2018 Sierra Grille Emblem Replaced

I replaced the front and rear red GMC logo on my '18 Sierra yesterday with GM part 84395038 which are black.  I'd searched this site for a while looking for someone posting instructions on the way to replace the front one but didn't find anything.  For future searchers it's fairly straight forward.

The emblem is held on with seven plastic clips and there's no way you can remove them without getting your hand behind the grille.  I popped the 14 or so plastic clips holding the plastic cover over the grille/radiator under the hood.  There are then four bolts you need to remove that hold the the top part of the grille.  These steps are covered on the various youtube videos for removing the entire grille.

Once all those are removed you can pull the grille forward enough to get your hand down behind the emblem.  You'll have to futz around with those plastic clips using a screwdriver or something else to hold them while using something between the emblem to keep it separate after you detach each hook.  You can figure out where the snaps are by looking at the new emblem.  It took about 15-20 minutes to get those clips separated.  I thought about trying to snap them off with some pliers but that would have taken about the same amount of time.  I honestly don't think this would have been easier removing the entire grille.  Removing the grille would have taken much longer than the way I did it.

In the end, the emblem came off with some scratches to the tabs but nothing that would been if I decided to put it back on.  I've attached a pic of the tabs on the front emblem.

logo3.jpg

Edited by parshal

I never did watch the removal video again but, at the time, remembered having to remove a screw from the fender side and release all the clips for the painted part between the bumper and grille. Maybe it wasn’t all that much more than I had done.