Power Steering Shudder After Bleed

jmvar

Question

Hi, I have a new to me 2005 Chevrolet Express AWD with the 5.3L that I am going through and changing all the fluids.

I did a power steering bleed by pulling the 3/8" return line to the pump and turning the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine off while adding more fluid along the way.  I didn't think that I let it run dry but maybe I did and now I have a mean shudder when I try to turn the wheel lock to lock with the engine on.  The shudder is so bad I have to shut the engine off to stop it.  It will only do it when the engine is on, when it is off it feels smooth.

I have tried to turn the steering wheel lock to lock with the engine off with and without a vacuum at the reservoir (15 in/HG), I have turned it lock to lock line 100 times and the shudder is still there.  Did this all with wheels off the ground, it's still on jack stands now.

There is no leak because the system holds vacuum just fine.

I used carquest power steering fluid that stated specicially that it was compatible with the GM pn: 89021184 that my manual calls for.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am off the parts store now to get valvoline PS fluid hoping that another bleed with cure the issue.

Thanks

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet