Tire Size

I was wondering if 285/75 would fit on a stock 2003 Z71 or if I would need to crank the torsion bars. I was also thinking about adding the green keys, if they will work on 03s. The tires I was considering are either the BFG AT or MT.

Common Lift/Tire Combo's for OBS/NBS Trucks & SUV'sCheck out this thread from FSC.com This should answer your questions.

Matt

Shaners is right. My factory 265's almost rubbed, the when I put on my 285's, there were no problems after I cranked my bars. You will need an allignment after doing so or your truck will "hunt" going down the road pretty bad and you will have poor tire wear.

YOu will love the BFG's, that is what I put on and I love them. :D

I posed this question about a month ago, before I decided to just stick with the 265's and instead of forking out the duckets for BFG AT KO's, or Michelins, I did some research, asked questions here, looked at Consumer Reports, and ended up getting a full set of Cooper Discoverer S/T's for $500 out the door, siped and with rotation warranty. The BFG's were just not worth the extra couple hundred bucks. And the Coopers look and ride awesome.

I posed this question about a month ago, before I decided to just stick with the 265's and instead of forking out the duckets for BFG AT KO's, or Michelins, I did some research, asked questions here, looked at Consumer Reports, and ended up getting a full set of Cooper Discoverer S/T's for $500 out the door, siped and with rotation warranty. The BFG's were just not worth the extra couple hundred bucks. And the Coopers look and ride awesome.

you have any pictures of the coopers that you got?

285/75's should fit...on a 4x4 03 chevy fullsize pickup.

Not sure how to post them, but I can certainly post some pics later this afternoon if someone could tell me how. I imagine I would have to upload them to some place like my Yahoo folder. Love to show ya.

The coopers are a nice option if you don't want a 3 ply sidewall.... I like a little stiffer ride and the extra side to side support with the 3 ply sidewall does make a difference..... Take some tight corners at a higher speed and you will feel the difference......

Plus you have the look factor........ THEY LOOK TOUGH!!!

I posed this question about a month ago, before I decided to just stick with the 265's and instead of forking out the duckets for BFG AT KO's, or Michelins, I did some research, asked questions here, looked at Consumer Reports, and ended up getting a full set of Cooper Discoverer S/T's for $500 out the door, siped and with rotation warranty.  The BFG's were just not worth the extra couple hundred bucks.  And the Coopers look and ride awesome.

Got a similar deal on my Toyo Open Country AT's, also 265's. Only difference was I got them for $400 out the door after install and everything. :thumbs: Of course it might have helped a little knowing the manager. :cool:

Either way, I love the Toyo's so far and highly recommend them. Only got about 7500 on them at max, but they still look brand new and wear/handle like a dream. Looked at the BFG's and they are a nice tire too...but glad I went with the Toyo's.

What are you after?

Just filling in the wheel wells?

More dia for off roading?

More tread/pavement for higher cornering?

Higher weight carrying for towing? (they only come in load range D as highest I've been able to find, so my 265's in load range E have higher weight carrying)

Is your truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? 3/4 ton and 1 ton have bigger frame and suspension, so sits about 2-2.5 inches taller than 1/2 ton and can take larger dia tires without as much modifications.

Mine are Mich LTX-MS LT265/75R16 load range E on Alcoa/Mickey Thompson Classic 16x10 (inside bead to bead..outside is about 11.2). Wanted both strength of load range E sidewalls and the stiffness of almost no "bend back" on the sidewall. Gets most of all worlds, as corners like on rails (track is about 10.5 inches wider than stock...outside to outside of tire) and has tow rating of an load range E tire. 3200 lb rating and have all metal valve stem (200 psi rating...those that are all rubber are only good for about 50 psi).

1/2 ton Suburbans have P series tires and can range in size dependent on options and dealer packages. Usually all in the 30" dia or less. Factory option on OBS was 265/75R16 on alloy 16x6.5 wheels.

3/4 ton Suburbans have LT245/75R16 E's as OEM. Optional alloy wheels, but still LT245/75R16 E's last time I checked.

I for one am not a big fan of the p rated tires. That's have the reason I saved up the cash and put new tires on my truck. I realize they put the P tires on there for smoother ride and for the "CITY" folk.... But I prefer the LT (Light Truck) tires as it's what a TRUCK should have on it....

Most newbies to trucks (aka SUVs too) don't know the difference between P rated and LT rated. Nor do they know that P rated used to haul/tow heavy needs to have their weight rating DE-RATED min 9% while pressure kept at max listed on sidewall.

For those who don't believe, here's some links to educate...

Firestone 9% de-rate

best tire info site found to date. Easy to read and understand. Note the 9% DE-RATE of P rated tires.

Note that they too have the 9% de-rate info

Archived