Hard staring 305 with Rochester carb.

I have a 1985 Chevy Van with a carburated 305. It takes three 5 second cranks to get started when it has set for more than 2 days. The next day after running it starts right up. I have removed the carb and sealed the ports on the bottom. After that didn't solve the starting problems I removed the carb again to see if I did a bad job on the plugs. Everything was dry and looked good. I don't know what else to try other than install an electric fuel pump to charge the carb before an extended start. I'm open to any suggestions.

But if I continue with my plan, I have a couple of questions. Should I install the electric pump in parallel or series with the mechanical pump? If I put it in parallel the line from the stock pump to the carb is solid. Can this be replaced with rubber? Why did they make it solid? If I put the electric pump in series it would be easier before the mechanical. Is this ok? Thanks for any assistance. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, Rocky Roads said:

I have a 1985 Chevy Van with a carburated 305. It takes three 5 second cranks to get started when it has set for more than 2 days. The next day after running it starts right up. I have removed the carb and sealed the ports on the bottom. After that didn't solve the starting problems I removed the carb again to see if I did a bad job on the plugs. Everything was dry and looked good. I don't know what else to try other than install an electric fuel pump to charge the carb before an extended start. I'm open to any suggestions.

But if I continue with my plan, I have a couple of questions. Should I install the electric pump in parallel or series with the mechanical pump? If I put it in parallel the line from the stock pump to the carb is solid. Can this be replaced with rubber? Why did they make it solid? If I put the electric pump in series it would be easier before the mechanical. Is this ok? Thanks for any assistance. 

Quadrajet carbs have a fuel filter element behind the fitting that the fuel inlet line screws in to. First make sure it has one in it,second probably wouldn't hurt to replace it since you've got it apart. It's worth mentioning that there were 2 different length filters. Match the old one,or take the threaded housing with you to the parts house to make sure you get the right one.most importantly,it should have an anti drain back valve in the filter you install .that could be your problem of why it's losing its prime to the fuel bowl.

• Like 1