Slim's 2014 Silverado Vtrux

Slimsalabim

Hi guys,

If you saw the title and were wondering wth a Vtrux is, please see my intro thread here: 

Short story is the truck is a Silverado that's been converted to a plug-in hybrid. It operates similarly to a Chevy Volt. I bought it on a whim because it was cheap and good on gas (my best mpg so far is 119mpg!). This thread is my documentation of my modifications and likely weird issues I'll likely have with this thing. 

This is how I bought it. A 2014 CCSB with 17k miles on it. Leveling kit, 33" Nittos on Black Rhino wheels, and a Smittybilt bumper. Great looking truck, but the big tires aren't great for EV range and I really like the look of a lowered truck. 

received_969623760497477.thumb.jpeg.a0d1cb4b105c9408b6dbb1b5ec661190.jpeg

I installed an IHC 3/5 kit that's a flip kit and control arms. I wish I could've gone lower, but the battery pack and its housing (roll cage I guess?) sit so far down that I'm already 3.5" off the ground as it is. Here is the truck now:

ResizerImage1008X756.thumb.jpg.eeaba8381042fccdfb82af0c2b461399.jpg

And this is a mini can, so Just over 3.5" to the 2"x4" steel tubing around the battery pack. If you're wondering, I have bottomed out on this a few times, but nothing I've worried about. You get used to it with lowered vehicles.

ResizerImage756X1008.thumb.jpg.4f24d1e437cf491594a5b866b1d8453e.jpg

I'm slowly changing things on the truck and will update this post accordingly.

Regards,

Slim

• Like 1

Because the truck is just a w/t, there's almost no options on it. It has basic power options and cruise control, but aside from the G80 rear axle, nothing else. This meant the radio was awful. I wanted a tesla screen, but the little things about it were bugging me. Because I don't have dual climate control or heated seats, I didn't really need either of them to be digital. I also hated the fact that the screen moved the volume to the passenger side. Then, the price was just so much. Instead, I shopped on Ali Express and came across this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000922321153.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef18025RP3MO

This got me a 10" screen and Android Auto while maintaining a factory look.

ResizerImage1008X567.thumb.jpg.233e50ce198f19263f2e7ebb38688620.jpg

Image1008X567.thumb.jpg.59c61695a04bd780faad43a5a808b3cb.jpg

ResizerImage233X480.jpg.5f4890bb1ca35ba0dd64b2779db53112.jpg

I also changed out all the door speakers for some Rockford Fosgate R165X3, then some Kenwood dash speakers (KFC-X2C), and added an Infinity basslink under the center front seat.

ResizerImage567X1008.thumb.jpg.0ad08a1d41cabd13ad0d4717811dce78.jpg

The screen is an Android tablet, so if you don't want to use carplay, you can hotspot it off your phone to do standard internet things (youtube, netflix, etc). Pointless things for myself when I'm driving, but super great when I have the kids in the truck. The sound is probably on par with a factory Bose setup, but I listen to audiobooks most days now so it's good enough. I have about a thousand dollars into the whole stereo at this point. The next thing I need to install is this 360 degree camera. I'll post that after it gets installed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001419631649.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802t7da91

Edited by Slimsalabim
Grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

it looks great, I bought one myself 2014 Vtrux, I showed it to a chevy dealer he told me this is origanaly a silverado and there is four recalls on it so he conviced me he will take care of the recals wich where only programing, 2 wks later he calls me telling me we took care of two and the other two we cannot do any thing abought it. I took my truck and to my surprize

he screwd up my dashboard now my speedometre is not working and break light is on and tire sensor is on skid control is on odomoter is stoped working and few other light is on. I dont know what to do since this moran told me to take it to the company that changed it to electrical, Can Any one Help me pls.

6 hours ago, mike chahine said:

it looks great, I bought one myself 2014 Vtrux, I showed it to a chevy dealer he told me this is origanaly a silverado and there is four recalls on it so he conviced me he will take care of the recals wich where only programing, 2 wks later he calls me telling me we took care of two and the other two we cannot do any thing abought it. I took my truck and to my surprize

he screwd up my dashboard now my speedometre is not working and break light is on and tire sensor is on skid control is on odomoter is stoped working and few other light is on. I dont know what to do since this moran told me to take it to the company that changed it to electrical, Can Any one Help me pls.

That's frustrating as hell. What was their explanation for this? Can't they correct it? I have an OBD2 reader plugged into my port all the time that's hooked up through Bluetooth on my stereo. I use that to clear codes all the time because the truck just randomly throws them (mostly transmission codes). The speedometer not working is one I would think any shop could correct though if you're not interested in using the dealer again. Keep me posted if you want on your truck! 

Slim

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2022 at 4:04 PM, Slimsalabim said:

That's frustrating as hell. What was their explanation for this? Can't they correct it? I have an OBD2 reader plugged into my port all the time that's hooked up through Bluetooth on my stereo. I use that to clear codes all the time because the truck just randomly throws them (mostly transmission codes). The speedometer not working is one I would think any shop could correct though if you're not interested in using the dealer again. Keep me posted if you want on your truck! 

Slim

Hello Slim,I appreciate your feedback,  I tried more then one shop in Michigan, no one wants to work on it what do you suggest.

2 minutes ago, mike chahine said:

Hello Slim,I appreciate your feedback,  I tried more then one shop in Michigan, no one wants to work on it what do you suggest.

If no one locally will touch it, reach out to Via Motors (the company that converted the truck) at: Vehicle Service Number:  844-4-VIA-TEC (844-484-2832). They rent out scan tools to troubleshoot the hybrid side of the truck, but this all sounds like it's the Chevy side of it. 

Another option would be to a service shop that specializes in hybrid/electric vehicles. I googled "michigan hybrid service shops" and found numerous shops. Start there and call around. Standard auto shops are likely scared of the Vtrux and don't want to open a can of worms that can't fix. Hybrid service shops are likely going to be excited to just see a Vtrux, let alone work on it. 

Good Luck!

Slim

Hey Slim,

I read your other forum. These discussions have been more informative than the entire internet lol. 

One of these trucks is for sale in my area. I’m very interested because of the price and low mileage. I’m a nurse, looking for a decent commuter vehicle, so I won’t need a full size truck most of the time, but I love the crew cab and hybrid gas mileage. 

My concern is finding service for it in my area. Has that been an issue for you yet? How have you found the reliability to be in general? With only 21,000 miles on this truck, that’s very low, but what’s the average lifespan of vehicles like this? Also, if the hybrid function stops working, will the truck still drive with its V6 engine as a normal vehicle? I’m no mechanic, so I may not even be asking the right questions. 

Any details you can share will be helpful. I’m trying to make an informed decision so I don’t end up with a crap deal. 

7 minutes ago, Thad Saunds said:

Hey Slim,

I read your other forum. These discussions have been more informative than the entire internet lol. 

One of these trucks is for sale in my area. I’m very interested because of the price and low mileage. I’m a nurse, looking for a decent commuter vehicle, so I won’t need a full size truck most of the time, but I love the crew cab and hybrid gas mileage. 

My concern is finding service for it in my area. Has that been an issue for you yet? How have you found the reliability to be in general? With only 21,000 miles on this truck, that’s very low, but what’s the average lifespan of vehicles like this? Also, if the hybrid function stops working, will the truck still drive with its V6 engine as a normal vehicle? I’m no mechanic, so I may not even be asking the right questions. 

Any details you can share will be helpful. I’m trying to make an informed decision so I don’t end up with a crap deal. 

Thad,

I bought my truck for the same reasons you talked about. I needed gas mileage and this truck had that plus low miles, seating for 6, and satisfied my irrational want of a pickup. I dove head first into buying knowing I would likely have to fix things myself when they broke. Buying one of these is a huge risk, especially if you can't/ won't tackle problems when they inevitably arise. 

The truck is a series hybrid which means it's always driven by the batteries. If the hybrid components fail, the truck will not drive. There's no transmission, so the electric motor has to function to move the truck. On my other thread, there's a guy who's battery died with low miles on it. He paid to ship it to Utah, get the battery replaced, then ship it back. It was crazy expensive to do that. You can search for hybrid/ev service shops in your area and see if they've had experience with these trucks or more likely the components installed in the truck. 

Here's a list of components put together by another Vtrux owner. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xFRTP8Wd0X-TawGd8yX23xAub034FJCL0gnJw3Xnfn8/edit?usp=drivesdk

Slim

On 7/20/2022 at 10:29 AM, Slimsalabim said:

If no one locally will touch it, reach out to Via Motors (the company that converted the truck) at: Vehicle Service Number:  844-4-VIA-TEC (844-484-2832). They rent out scan tools to troubleshoot the hybrid side of the truck, but this all sounds like it's the Chevy side of it. 

Another option would be to a service shop that specializes in hybrid/electric vehicles. I googled "michigan hybrid service shops" and found numerous shops. Start there and call around. Standard auto shops are likely scared of the Vtrux and don't want to open a can of worms that can't fix. Hybrid service shops are likely going to be excited to just see a Vtrux, let alone work on it. 

Good Luck!

Slim

Thanks a Lot Slim I will try this Route and keep you informed.

Br

Mike

• Like 1