2006 avalanche transmission failure and interchange question

Hello

I bought a used 2006 avalanche LTwith 2wd drive train, the truck drives fine through first and second gear but wont go into 3rd gear, as if it goes in to neutral, after much research i have come to discover that i need to get a new transmission or get the one i have rebuilt.  my question is as follows:

Will any model 4l60e 2wd transmission fit or will i need something specific to that year?  reason i ask is becuasue the 05/06 models came with VSS while others didnt have that option so i wonder if i get the older model transmission will i be able to install it or do i need to get it opened and customized to have it work

thanks for your help 

I got my '06 rebuilt to 4L 70 E specs (it's the tranny that the SS and the caddy models used) for an additional $500.00 or so. I asked all those I trusted who the best shop around was and went there. The man told me to use NOTHING but the AC Delco tranny fluid and to get the pump in the transfer (you won't have to worry about the T case) oil pump modded cause they eat through the T case housing. I did that, and I installed a tranny cooler and a oil pan that had a drain plug on it to make future filter and fluid changes much less messy and way easier.