Adding power windows?

OK. My 04 Silverado came with manual windows and locks. I had the dealer put in the lock actuaters as part of a keyless alarm. If I wanted to add power windows, could I just buy the regulators and put them in the existing door then replace the door panels with door panels that have the switches? Is all the wiring there already? Thanks for any help.

I have an 02 Sierra and added power windows to it. The wiring was not already there. But it was an easy install just the same. Took 2 hrs to complete, hardest part was running the wiring harness thru the existing loom in the doors. Good Luck.

worktruck,

Where did you get the parts for the power windows? junkyard or was it an aftermarket one? I'm wanting to add this too, about 4 months ago i posted almost the same question about power windows.

Thanks in advance for any advice you give!!!

I have an 02 Sierra and added power windows to it. The wiring was not already there. But it was an easy install just the same. Took 2 hrs to complete, hardest part was running the wiring harness thru the existing loom in the doors. Good Luck.

A 2002 and a 2004 have totally different electrical systems, so not sure that this applies to them.

worktruck,

I have a friend with a manual window 2001 which would be the same as your 2002. His has power locks, so it already has the correct latch/actuator assemblies. Did your truck have a place for the new door harnesses to plug into already or did it take more? I guess what I am asking is, did you only have to add the door harnesses or did you have to add some wiring under the dash also. I haven't had the chance to inspect his truck to see if it has the necessary plugs yet. Thanks

Well, after more research, I think my best bet is a combination of the two. I have found out the 04 use the data bus for the windows also. :thumbs: So I am thinking I will use the aftermarket regulators from a1electric and get door panels from a salvage yard with some pigtails for the door switches and rig them up with the aftermarket regulators. That way seems the easiest while still looking factory.

I used a power window kit from JC Whitney. Cost was a couple hundred bucks. Also installed power locks too. I am also looking to get door panels from a junk yard to replace the stock panels. I don't like the look of the panel with the filler in place of the window crank handle. Also the switches are a pain to install, I have the door lock switch in the armrest and the window switch is on the panel just below and in front of the armrest. Not sure if the factory switch assembly will work on the aftermarket windows, we'll see.

Well, after more research, I think my best bet is a combination of the two. I have found out the 04 use the data bus for the windows also. :D So I am thinking I will use the aftermarket regulators from a1electric and get door panels from a salvage yard with some pigtails for the door switches and rig them up with the aftermarket regulators. That way seems the easiest while still looking factory.

Actually, my guess is adding power windows would be easier in an 03 since it uses the data bus.

That sounds to me like you only need to change the wiring in the doors. The new Driver Door Module and Passenger Door Module would be able to control the window motors. Those modules are integrated into the power window switch. So basically you change the power window switches out and the harness in the doors and you're set. That's just my guess though.

I have a 99. I added PW and PL to mine. It was a PITA because my base model truck required that I yank the dash and replace ALL electrical centers as well as the entire dash harness. This harness also extends underhood to the underhood electrical center. Took me all of a weekend to do, but now I have a fully-loaded truck with factory power locks, windows, mirrors, heated mirrors, factory keyless entry, etc. Best mod I've ever done to my truck.

Archived