? about steering lube kit

I just took my truck in to the dealer because my radio quit working and he mentioned that he would order a sterering lube kit so they could put that on when my replacement radio gets here.

I was in a hurry and didn't get any other info about the lube kit. Anyone know what he is talking about.

Jim

I would imagine he's referring to the kit to grease/lube the intermediate steering shaft, but I'm not quite sure why that would be related to replacing your radio. Perhaps they just happened notice that it need the lube done. You feel any vibration in the steering wheel at low speeds, in particular when taking slight left-hand turns? (There's a TSB on that problem and the recommended fix is to lube that shaft.) :lol:

Nothing to do with the radio, service guy just mentioned that after he pulled it into the garage to check the radio out.

I hadn't noticed anything, but I drive on alot of unimproved roads and maybe I'm numb to the vibration.

Jim

yeah, my recent visit to the dealer also yielded a need to lube my shaft. :lol: i believe they actually replace mine. in any case, the symptom i had when my shaft was not lubed sufficiently was a clunking noise in the front end when turning the wheels sharply in either direction.

shafts work much better with some lube! :jester:

Archived