probably moving to DC

8.1Texan

Texan-dont let the "bucktoothed Confederate flag wavin Redneck" scare ya- :banghead:

Virginia is a great place to live (notice i didnt say D.C. or PG MD)...I lived in Arlington,VA for 10 years before moving to NYC 3 years ago...the population has built up a little since then but not a whole lot.

there are parts of Alexandria i would shy away from late at night nothing too bad-ive had to drive thru them late before without any troubles...then again affordable house is another issue....you may have to move out into BFE ??? if not move to Long island and Ill sell you a house cheap-lol

Scott

well, dispite my username, I am currently living in pittsburgh, the land of NO highways, so it takes me an hour to drive 9 miles each way.

I don't think DC will be much worse.

as for price...I think my entire raise will be spent on housing. I am figuring it will cost me between $4-5,000 more per year to have comparable housing.

right across the street from the white house

Are you alone or bringing a family? Renting a room in far N.W. Washington or towards Bethesda is an option if you're alone. If you need a house don't even consider Prince Georges County even though the prices will be lower. Housing costs everywhere is extremely high, even the far suburbs. IMHO the traffic in Va. is worse than coming in from Md. but both trips are terrible. I spent my whole career working nights just to avoid it. I would suggest taking a few days down here to be sure you want to punish yourself like this.

just me, my dog, and my cat.

Oh i am definitely coming down...March 20 is my official start date, so I have 4 weeks to figure this all out.

Luckily I will have corportate housing paid for 30 days, so that gives me another month to find a more permanent home. but not many extended stay places allow pets...

it's tough, but it'll all work out.

The key question is how much time do you want to spend driving to and from work. If an hour to 1.5 hours (each way) is good then you can get out to the more rural parts of MD and Northern VA. Some parts of Montgomery County are good but pricey. Taxes are higher there than Frederick County.

I can drive to the White House vicinity in anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Time of day is key. I'd guess an average rush hour commute would be an hour (normal day no accidents). Disclaimer - It's been a while since I've made that drive. I'm close to I 270 and Rt 109 (Hyattstown on the map). I've made the trip in about 30 minutes but we won't go into that.

Bill

Archived