Tow package

Does the factory tow package come with an auxillary Tranny cooler or oil cooler? The burb I bought today does not have the tow package, though the dealership is adding the factory hitch and wiring. I am planning on adding a tranny cooler, but the dealer told me I probably did not need one unless I planned on doing some serious towing, and that none of his guys were trained to install one (small town dealer). We just have a 2000 lb popup, but plan to move to a 5000 lb travel trailer in the next year or so. Should I add one, or do you think I will be fine. If you think I should add one, should I go with the factory one, or look into a B&M aftermarket cooler?

Does the factory tow package come with an auxillary Tranny cooler or oil cooler?  The burb I bought today does not have the tow package, though the dealership is adding the factory hitch and wiring.  I am planning on adding a tranny cooler, but the dealer told me I probably did not need one unless I planned on doing some serious towing, and that none of his guys were trained to install one (small town dealer).  We just have a 2000 lb popup, but plan to move to a 5000 lb travel trailer in the next year or so.  Should I add one, or do you think I will be fine.  If you think I should add one, should I go with the factory one, or look into a B&M aftermarket cooler?

With the 4L60E on a heavy truck, I would get the tranny cooler even if I NEVER towed. I would STRONGLY suggest you get one. You could even get all factory parts and keep it oem. Not sure why the dealer can't handle it as I think you could do it in an afternoon in your garage.

I am not really sure what the deal is either. I do know that this particular dealer is mostly a high volume sales dealer. They only have 4 service bays, which will tell you how small they are. I think I will check into the OEM part and see what is involved in the install.

GM has an aux.trans.cooler package that gives you everything you need and any good mechanic can install it in an hour and a half to two hours.

Its part #12497071

Here is a picture of my Suburban when it was in the body shop after the accident.

The external tranny cooler is a "stacked plate" type and is the assembly to the right of the center mounted horn (drivers side).

Your's should be same/similar, as the NBS and OBS didn't change this area much.

01240006_frnt_end_crop.jpg

Archived