need help...

hey all, i have an odd symptom in my '99. intermittantly, when i put my truck in gear and i'm moving at idle the truck will give a real quick surge. this happens primarily when i'm in reverse and backing out, i generally just allow the truck to move at engine idle. it will idle for a few seconds (4-5) and then it will surge really quick, just like stabbing the pedal, but it only lasts for a split second.

it's just enough to give you a heart attack if you happen to be backing out in a crowded parking lot!

if i happen to apply the brake just as it surges, it will kill the engine. one thing i have noticed is whenever it does this, it gives me a big puff of black smoke. this will happen in any (moving) gear but just so happens to be reverse most often because it's the only gear where i allow the truck to simply move at idle.

the good news is the truck is still drivable but it really concerns me that this could happen while in a parking lot or somewhere where i might be in close proximity to other vehicles or pedestrians.

has anyone else seen this symptom? if so, what's the fix?

hey all, i have an odd symptom in my '99.  intermittantly, when i put my truck in gear and i'm moving at idle the truck will give a real quick surge.  this happens primarily when i'm in reverse and backing out, i generally just allow the truck to move at engine idle.  it will idle for a few seconds (4-5) and then it will surge really quick, just like stabbing the pedal, but it only lasts for a split second. 

it's just enough to give you a heart attack if you happen to be backing out in a crowded parking lot! 

if i happen to apply the brake just as it surges, it will kill the engine.  one thing i have noticed is whenever it does this, it gives me a big puff of black smoke.  this will happen in any (moving) gear but just so happens to be reverse most often because it's the only gear where i allow the truck to simply move at idle.

the good news is the truck is still drivable but it really concerns me that this could happen while in a parking lot or somewhere where i might be in close proximity to other vehicles or pedestrians.

has anyone else seen this symptom?  if so, what's the fix?

That is a drive by wire truck (eletrically controlled injection pump with no mechnical connect to gas pedal) so you may have pump problems and should at the very least have it checked out throughly.

• 4 weeks later...
The first place to start would be to pull your codes, some auto parts  stores will do it for you, if you do much work yourself you might want to get yourself a code reader so you can trouble shoot it.

Only if it is throughing codes to begin with because it may or may not be doing it.

hey all, i have an odd symptom in my '99.  intermittantly, when i put my truck in gear and i'm moving at idle the truck will give a real quick surge.  this happens primarily when i'm in reverse and backing out, i generally just allow the truck to move at engine idle.  it will idle for a few seconds (4-5) and then it will surge really quick, just like stabbing the pedal, but it only lasts for a split second. 

if i happen to apply the brake just as it surges, it will kill the engine.  one thing i have noticed is whenever it does this, it gives me a big puff of black smoke.  this will happen in any (moving) gear but just so happens to be reverse most often because it's the only gear where i allow the truck to simply move at idle.

has anyone else seen this symptom?  if so, what's the fix?

That is a drive by wire truck (eletrically controlled injection pump with no mechnical connect to gas pedal) so you may have pump problems and should at the very least have it checked out throughly.

Definitely sounds pump or fuel system related which may not necessarily throw a code.

Change the filter and run a couple of tanks through it. Also have the injectors checked/cleaned and the pump checked as snoman suggested.

• 2 weeks later...

Snoman is right in that sometimes codes are not set when there is problems, sometimes codes are set and they can give you an idea of where to start to look if there are codes. When I have an issue with my 6.5 I first pull codes to at least see if I can get a dirrection from that.

Turbine Doc has a good list of items to check with the 6.5TD it's wise to try and eliminate the simpler low cost items first like Frank suggest fuel filter, add some Diesel Injector cleaner, ect. loss or dirty grounds also wreck havoic with thtese electonic systems, and why your at it clean the battery terminals and make sure they are tight and clean. Sometimes it's a small issue that causes a problem like this. Hope this helps some.

As far as codes go intemittent ones are stored in the history section of the PCM, but you need a T2 or T2 clone, or a Snap-On Mt2500 to read them also some of the PC based tools work. Autozone & others can generally only read hard codes showing the SES lite.

• 6 years later...

Archived