Crank Position Sensor

Does anybody have a picture or description of where the Crankshaft Position Sensor is on a 8.1. Is it difficult to replace or is there anything special I should know before I replace it. Thanks in Advance!

It's directly behind the driver side cylinder head going straight down into the bell housing between the block and flywheel. About 8 inches long, with one 10mm bolt holding it at the head. You have to get to it from under the truck. Purchase a stubby 10mm gear wrench from Sears etc. and you'll have an easyer time of replacing it. Due to the close proximity to the exhaust you should allow some cool down time. Take care to wiggle it out slowly, a few have reportly broke off with much of the sensor still inside causing a big time headache. But if you act carefully it shouldn't be an issue. I had to use a huge screw driver and small hammer to tap mine up and out, it was sticky at first.

I wrote a long post on it here if you search you should find it. The bad thing is the site with GM pics and step by step has been removed.

Vernon

• 1 month later...
It's directly behind the driver side cylinder head going straight down into the bell housing between the block and flywheel.  About 8 inches long, with one 10mm bolt holding it at the head.  You have to get to it from under the truck.  Purchase a stubby 10mm gear wrench from Sears etc. and you'll have an easyer time of replacing it.  Due to the close proximity to the exhaust you should allow some cool down time.  Take care to wiggle it out slowly, a few have reportly broke off with much of the sensor still inside causing a big time headache.  But if you act carefully it shouldn't be an issue.  I had to use a huge screw driver and small hammer to tap mine up and out, it was sticky at first.

I wrote a long post on it here if you search you should find it.  The bad thing is the site with GM pics and step by step has been removed.

Vernon

Vernon:

I was wondering if you can help me? I have a 2001HD 8.1 and lately it's been having a problem with starting. Once in awhile after trying to start. the engine would experience a backfire... or like it's starving for fuel. I'm guessing it's my crankshaft position sensor. Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance. Tony

It's directly behind the driver side cylinder head going straight down into the bell housing between the block and flywheel.  About 8 inches long, with one 10mm bolt holding it at the head.  You have to get to it from under the truck.  Purchase a stubby 10mm gear wrench from Sears etc. and you'll have an easyer time of replacing it.  Due to the close proximity to the exhaust you should allow some cool down time.  Take care to wiggle it out slowly, a few have reportly broke off with much of the sensor still inside causing a big time headache.  But if you act carefully it shouldn't be an issue.  I had to use a huge screw driver and small hammer to tap mine up and out, it was sticky at first.

I wrote a long post on it here if you search you should find it.  The bad thing is the site with GM pics and step by step has been removed.

Vernon

Vernon:

I was wondering if you can help me? I have a 2001HD 8.1 and lately it's been having a problem with starting. Once in awhile after trying to start. the engine would experience a backfire... or like it's starving for fuel. I'm guessing it's my crankshaft position sensor. Could that be the problem?

Thanks in advance. Tony

Sorry I didn't see this sooner Tony. As for your question it's hard to say, usually if a crank sensor is that bad you'll already have a code but not always. I will say a backfire is very hard to achieve without a bad crank or cam sensor on engine control systems like these. It could be numerous other things. Are there any other symptioms? You don't have a Check Engine Light right? When you say "ocasionally, when cranking, it's like it's starving for fuel" what exactly do you mean. I've found many laymans descriptions to be misleading. Is the engine bogging down or stalling while cranking? Or is it trying to start but not getting anywhere?

Vernon

Archived