98 Tahoe LT 350r

R.W.Trask

Question

Hello:

The ticking - engine temp below 100 deg., oil pressure 40+, outside temp -20 to 80 degrees F. Two to three times a month, starting to idle below 100 deg. engine temp., it sounds like I have no oil - every lifter is protesting until engine temp 100 deg. F. Oil change does not help.

Main light switch elumminated when key turned to on. Horn stopped working. Air bag light stays on 20 out of 30 days. Rear view mirror does not show temp and no anti glare light.

Is my babby going to have a heart attack?

Picture and sticker

http://users.rcn.com/rwtrask/mytahoe.htm

0 answers to this question

Hello:

The ticking - engine temp below 100 deg., oil pressure 40+, outside temp -20 to 80 degrees F. Two to three times a month, starting to idle below 100 deg. engine temp., it sounds like I have no oil - every lifter is protesting until engine temp 100 deg. F. Oil change does not help.

Main light switch elumminated when key turned to on. Horn stopped working. Air bag light stays on 20 out of 30 days. Rear view mirror does not show temp and no anti glare light.

Picture and sticker

R.W.

Have you had the intake manifold replaced on your Tahoe? The 5.7L had a problem with the intake manifold in that after time it will start to leak. My 98 Yukon started leaking about 58000 miles. My 1996 Tahoe had to have the entire top end of the motor replaced because the coolent is very corrosive. Look at your coolent, if it is a dark brown or black color you are leaking oil into the cooling system. Then check your oil, if it is milky you are leaking coolent into your oil.

Also, just as a side note, I had to have the rear view mirror replaced on my 1998 Yukon because it did not work (i.e. temp, compass)

Hope that helps

Hello:

Picture and sticker

R.W.

Have you had the intake manifold replaced on your Tahoe? The 5.7L had a problem with the intake manifold in that after time it will start to leak. My 98 Yukon started leaking about 58000 miles. My 1996 Tahoe had to have the entire top end of the motor replaced because the coolent is very corrosive. Look at your coolent, if it is a dark brown or black color you are leaking oil into the cooling system. Then check your oil, if it is milky you are leaking coolent into your oil.

Also, just as a side note, I had to have the rear view mirror replaced on my 1998 Yukon because it did not work (i.e. temp, compass)

Hope that helps

My 98 Tahoe 350r has 63k miles. The oil always looks great the coolent is that GM Dextrol or something - its pink. There is no sign of oil in the coolant. There are no bubbles in the radiator

Archived