where is my PCM?

I was thinking the other day that some of the engine noises I hear could be the result of using to low an octane gas if my "new to me" truck has a tuning chip installed. Where do I look to find the PCM(?) and verify if its stock or not? TIA

Om your 2001 the PCM will be near the front of the engine compartment, left of the fan shroud. It is mounted in a plastic bracket and has a black plastic cover on it.

96-up trucks don't have a replaceable PROM/Chip and musted be tuned. You won't be able to tell by looking at it if it has been tuned.

Om your 2001 the PCM will be near the front of the engine compartment, left of the fan shroud.  It is mounted in a plastic bracket and has a black plastic cover on it.

96-up trucks don't have a replaceable PROM/Chip and musted be tuned.  You won't be able to tell by looking at it if it has been tuned.

OK, Thanks 99. So if I wont be able to tell by just looking at it, then is there another way to tell if I've been "tuned"? I have an OBD II reader might that be able to tell me? Wouldn't a tune have some identifing mark?

Archived