Pressure washing house

MountaineerTom

What type of cleaners have any of you used that work really well? I just bought a pressure washer and want to wash the house down and I'm looking for input on what people have had success with.

Under the eaves, I have a few spots of mildew starting to form, so I'm looking for something that will work on that as well.

What's your surface Tom? Vinyl or aluminum or wood? I usually grab a jug of the siding cleaner or all purpose that Home Depot has down the pressure washer aisle. May need a brush depending on what you're looking to do.

It's wood, painted cedar.  Painted plywood for the overhangs.  I know one thing, I need to get me big ladder before I start the back side of the house.  :seeya:

house_back.jpg

Tom,

I just bought a pressure washer at Home Depot - the Excel (DeVilbiss) 2600. I got some deck and siding cleaner while I was there so I'll let you know how it works. According to the manual, the main thing you have to watch out for is the pressure power. I suppose brick is no biggie but my house is vinyl siding and the high pressure nozzle can put holes in it.

Just did my vinyle sided house. Look at the way your soffit and siding meet and be sure to spray so no water gets behind the siding. I got some behind the siding and dirty water drips out the seams and streaks the already cleaned area. Next time I need to be sure to be higher so I am always spraying down. Scaffold would be nice it would get me away from the spray and be more stable. There is quite a "kick back" when you pull that trigger.

Yeah, I've been using it the last few days cleaning odd and end things, just kind of playing with it.

Thanks for all the tips.  :chevy:

Thanks for the heads-up guys. I wondered about kickback from the sprayer and since my house is vinyl siding, being careful about getting it underneath is good advice. However, I'm not too sure I want to be on a ladder with this thing and I really do need to do the 2nd story siding.

JimPatsHouse.jpg

My house has white vinyle siding. I use one of those sprayer that you pump up and use with weedkillers, fertilizer, whatever. I make a bleach and water mixture. I'll spray a section with the bleach and water, let it rest for about 10 min, then pressure wash off. It takes no brushing or anything all mildew and everything comes right off. The house is so bright you have to wear sunglasses to look at in direct sunlight after it's done. Comes out looking great. Although I don't know what the bleach will do to the siding, but doing this 1 time per year and not allowing it to remain on long I couldn't imagine would hurt anything. I've done this for the past 3 years with no problems.

Archived