Stalling 8.1L

Last week I was driving the truck, just for couple minutes when it stalled going down the road. I was not coasting, but regular driving. And today I drove to the end of my street, when I got to the stop sign it was hesitant. It felt like a carburated car flooding. Then I get to the gas station about 1 mile down and filled the tank. Truck would not start. I cranked for several minutes and no start. waited about 15 minutes and tried again, fired right up. What the hell is going on? I do not even have a check engine light on. the truck is an 01 with 47K and is completley stock, except for Borla catback.

It's the crankshaft sensor, you need a new one. If you do some searches here and on the HD forum using my name (Haulin' 8.1) and (crank sensor) you'll find all the information you need to located it and replace it yourself.

Vernon

It's the crankshaft sensor, you need a new one.  If you do some searches here and on the HD forum using my name (Haulin' 8.1) and (crank sensor) you'll find all the information you need to located it and replace it yourself.

Vernon

Thanks for the advice. I was about to replace the PCM. I changed the crank trigger sensor and the problem went away.

Glad it helped. Just in case you didn't pick up this in a search there's something else you need to do now with your new Crank Sensor. Goto the dealer or a competent auto diagnostics shop (like mine :chevy: ) and have a "Crankshaft Variation Relearn" test performed. It simply gets your PCM and new sensor on the same page so there's no confusion between them at times. I've seen it clear up a rough idle and increase fuel efficiency so there's something to it.

Vernon

Archived