Would this have set a code?

blue2kzr2

Question

I installed new plug wires on my truck today. As I'm sure you know, that engine bay is tight (2000 S-10), I missed a plug when installing a boot and got it pushed snugly next to the plug. I started the truck twice with the boot like that before realizing what the miss was but no SES was lit. I started the truck a 3rd time after getting the boot on properly and BAM, SES is on. I only pulled the plug on 2 sensors, the MAF and IAT, both were plugged in securely before starting any of the times.

Is it possible the SES was set by the missed plug? I pulled the neg. battery cable for about 30 mins and the light is now off, but I haven't gone through any full driving cycles since. I'll see what tomorrow brings during my commute to work. I took it out for a drive after fixing the plug wire but before re-setting the ECM, power seemed good, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

0 answers to this question

I installed new plug wires on my truck today.  As I'm sure you know, that engine bay is tight (2000 S-10), I missed a plug when installing a boot and got it pushed snugly next to the plug.  I started the truck twice with the boot like that before realizing what the miss was but no SES was lit.  I started the truck a 3rd time after getting the boot on properly and BAM, SES is on.  I only pulled the plug on 2 sensors, the MAF and IAT, both were plugged in securely before starting any of the times.

Is it possible the SES was set by the missed plug?  I pulled the neg. battery cable for about 30 mins and the light is now off, but I haven't gone through any full driving cycles since.  I'll see what tomorrow brings during my commute to work.  I took it out for a drive after fixing the plug wire but before re-setting the ECM, power seemed good, nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

That was the problem, the SES came on from a reading the O2 sensor sent to the computer from running with one cylinder not firing. The O2 sensor picked up the un-burnt fuel.

Thanks, I figured either the misfire set the code or that it was something along the lines you described. Just odd that it didn't show until after starting the 3rd time. Also odd that I had the EXACT same thing happen when I swapped the plugs last month and it never set a code...

It appears that's what it was. I drove it close to 50 miles today with no yellow light. Most of that was on the freeway. I get a nice kick now when it downshifts to 2nd from 3rd, I assume that's from re-setting the computer.

Archived