Dual exhaust

Hi,

I have a 2001 Silverado 5.3, extended cab. Those of you that have put dual exhaust on your truck. How did you do it (did you do it yourself), how much did it cost, what is the best system, does it effect your warranty?

Thanks, I look forward to your answers.

LT

I don't believe it's legal to put a true dual exhaust system on your truck.  You can have dual outlets, but not a full dual exhaust.  There are mufflers that have one inlet and two outlets... if you're seeing trucks like yours with what appear to be duals, this is the setup they're (hopefully) running.

Big O Dave

Big 0, I believe it is in fact legal to have a true dual exhaust ;-), as long as you also have two catalytic converters - one for each pipe. My truck came stock with two cats. It's currently set up as two in-one out, but soon to be changed to two in, two out. K&N has a cat back system that is a two in-one out, that is supposed to increase HP by 22 ponies, and torque by about 30 lbs ft. I may go this route as well, not sure yet, as I haven't heard of anyone who has this system, who can tell me how it sounds, and if it's truly that much of a jump in HP.

LT, my truck is the same as yours (you have good taste), and I put the Flowmaster 40 series on mine.  I did a cat back system (i.e. one muffler, with two pipes running out the back).  So, it is not a TRUE dual, but it looks and sounds good.  I had it done a muffler place near where I live, and it cost ? installed.  

My friend went with me the same day, and had the same thing done to his Silverado.   He had the pipes dumped over the axles, and his cost was only ?.

Regarding the warranty, my new warranty for my exhaust system is now through Flowmaster and the muffler place :) (I don't the Chevy will do work on my exhaust because I changed it, but it does NOT void my entire warranty.)

Hope this helps.  

kaspar139,

Thanks for the reply. Sounds great. I'll check out who carries Flowmaster in this area (very rural).

You have great taste as well. I'll bet that the black is beautiful. Is the interior black as well? Double black--Cool! I love this truck. cool.gif

LT

Quote: from LT on 9:53 am on May 30, 2001

I'll bet that the black is beautiful. Is the interior black as well? Double black--Cool! I love this truck.

The black is sweet looking!  However, the interior is a modest blue/grey.  The spray in liner is black, and everything else is chrome!  Once I get the grille, nerf bars, and rear light guards, it will be crazy looking!

99 Sierra 5.3, true duals, 2 2.5 inch pipes running through a dual in/out Edelbock RPM muffler, exiting out the back with stainless steel tips. Looks and sounds great, can't vouch for any power increase though, but the truck does run good.

Archived