slip yoke leak

need advice if any one has ran into this problem. I have a 97 GMC 4x4 5.7 with new process 241 transfercase. it leaks fluid around the output seal by the slip yoke. I have changed the seal several times, changed u-joints, balanced the drive shaft, and had the transfer case rebuilt, but it still leaks. some have said i need a new slip yoke. Any ideas? :confused:

Mine did the same on my 1995 Yukon. Replaced the seal a few times, then the dealer said that it may be the transfer case "snout", the piece that the seal is in. Replaced it 5 years ago, and not a drop since. He said that replacing the seal a few times will wear out that piece, even with a new seal.

If you buy a new one, put the seal in first, then install it on the transfer case.

I replaced the t-case rear output shaft seal 3 times before I replaced the slip yolk with the nickel plated one. It has not leaked in 15K now. I think on mine, when the suspension bottoms and it pushes the slip yolk all the way into the t-case, rust on the slip yolk would trash the seal. I even tried to sand and polish the slip yolk but it still leaked with a new seal. Only solution was to replace slip yolk.

Also, check for up/down play in the slip yolk to t-case. If there is any movement, the bushing behind the seal has worn and needs to be replaced. I have heard this can be replaced by removing the driveshaft and NOT cracking into the t-case.

Archived