Throwout Bearing Noise

tkyer2

Question

I have a 05 Silverado with the 4.8, 5 spd, 4x4. After about 11k miles the trowout bearing started making a terrible noise. I took it to the dealership and had it replaced. problem solved...5k miles later same thing. took it in, they replaced, left dealership and got down the road and it started again. I call the dealership and they say that they will replace it again but after that, no more. they say that this is a normal noise and that they will only replace it one more time.. My questions are 1.) is this in fact normal and why...2.) is there a solution even though it may be normal(its driving me CRAZY :seeya: ) and 3 is that true that they can just say, were not fixing it again... I have owned tons of trucks and they have all been manual transmissions and have never sounded that way. Even an old F$@d that I owned didnt do that.

0 answers to this question

I do not know if this is your problem, but I had a Pontiac that did the same thing. It turned out the pilot bearing was bad, allowing the transmission shaft to vibrate, causing the pilot bearding to wear badly. Eventually it fell apart. It didn't help the clutch plate, either.

It is not normal as far as I am concerned, and should be a warranty issue regardless what the dealer says. They aren't trying to find and solve the real problem.

I do not know if this is your problem, but I had a Pontiac that did the same thing.  It turned out the pilot bearing was bad, allowing the transmission shaft to vibrate, causing the pilot bearding to wear badly. Eventually it fell apart. It didn't help the clutch plate, either.

It is not normal as far as I am concerned, and should be a warranty issue regardless what the dealer says.  They aren't trying to find and solve the real problem.

Well, I asked the dealership about it and they said that the bearing has a plastic housing on it and this is whats causing the problem...Im like OK...so I check with all the parts stores and come to find out, all the aftermarket ones (that I have found) are plastic housings as well. This pisses me off. Does anyone know if someone makes a metal housed throwout bearing for these trucks?

Archived