mpg on 8.1

New to this forum, formerly of ford-deisel.com. Went on vacation last week and traded my '97 F-350 with the powerstroke for a new 2001 2500 HD w/ 8.1/ Allison.

I thought I would never say this about a gas burner, but WOW!! This truck outpulls my old psd with no problem. There is nothing about the truck that I don't like.  My question is what kind of gas mileage numbers can I expect once I have a few thousand miles on the truck? Also any tips on towing with this setup will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

when I first bought the truck, i got 9.5 miles per gallon in town and 12 on the road. I have 1500 on it now and I am getting almost 11 in town. I havent been on a road trip in 500 miles so I dont know if I improved on the 12 mph yet or not, but I bet I did.............

Thanks for the replys.

This is truly a towing monster. I made sure I had 500 miles on her before pulling the 5th wheel home, and I babied it all the way.  Can,t wait to fully break it in so I can see what it will realy do!!  I have always been a GM man, except for the F-350. It was a great truck, but I,m glad to be back home!

I have the 8.1 w/ the Allison.  I tow a 26' travel trailer that weighs in just under 6000#.   The truck doesn't even know it is there.  I get about 9.5 mpg towing and about 12 without the trailer.  That is if I keep my foot out of the firewall.  I have noticed the mpg is getting better with more miles.  I have about 7000 so far.  Thanks.

Archived