Bad Yukon Wheel Bearing

I'm pretty certain one of my front wheel bearings is failing after hearing a grinding noise coming from the front end for the past month. It varies with speed (not engine RPM) and isn't affected by the brakes so I know it's not a caliper issue.

With the sealed wheel bearings, can I replace just the bearing or do I have to replace the entire wheel hub? This would be my first time tackling a bearing replacement so any help would be appreciated. Also, any advice or input on bearing brands would be great. I can always buy a GM replacement but considering the OE failed after 4 years and 70k miles, I'm open to other options. Thanks.

I'm pretty certain one of my front wheel bearings is failing after hearing a grinding noise coming from the front end for the past month.  It varies with speed (not engine RPM) and isn't affected by the brakes so I know it's not a caliper issue. 

With the sealed wheel bearings, can I replace just the bearing or do I have to replace the entire wheel hub?  This would be my first time tackling a bearing replacement so any help would be appreciated.  Also, any advice or input on bearing brands would be great.  I can always buy a GM replacement but considering the OE failed after 4 years and 70k miles, I'm open to other options.  Thanks.

Tough to say without knowing what year/make vehicle. Assuming it is a NBS, the bearing is integrated into the hub. The good news is when you replace, it comes with the abs sensor. It used to be a dealer only item but recently I have seen auto parts stores that carry them.

As far as replacing, it is pretty straight forward. I did mine when I replaced the ball joints. IIRC, remove upper and lower ball joint nut then tap out of the hub and reverse with the new. I believe the ball joint studs are tapered so they really get forced together. I used a copper mallet to remove them.

Hi alvocado--The bearing is not too difficult to change, but you will need a big socket, so check that out before you start. As far as the manufacturer, I think you may find that the GM dealer, and your local parts dealer will have the same brand bearing. I'd shop around, and get the best price for this cartridge bearing.--Frank Sub

Hi alvocado--The bearing is not too difficult to change, but you will need a big socket, so check that out before you start.  As far as the manufacturer, I think you may find that the GM dealer, and your local parts dealer will have the same brand bearing.  I'd shop around, and get the best price for this cartridge bearing.--Frank Sub

I was able to find a Timken hub assembly for $134 with free shipping from Autopartswarehouse.com who had them in stock. I tried to buy it from Autozone but they indicated the supplier was out of stock. The GM part runs $324 and considering Timken is the biggest bearing manufacturer, I figured it was worth a try. Good tip re: the axle nut size. I'll make sure I have the right socket on hand in advance.

One question for Bish: do the ball joints come into play at all? From memory I thought the hub attaches directly to the steering knuckle with 3 bolts.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

I read a similar post where GM-TECH recommended replacing the hub nut with a new nut per the GM service manual.  Did you guys reuse the existing nut?

I definitely didn't buy a new one. I can't remember if one came with the hub or if I reused the old one. I think I reused the old one. 1/2" impact to remove and install worked for me.

• 9 months later...

Need some help with a GMC 2002 Yukon. I have a bad wheel bearing on the front drivers side. I was wondering how difficult this part is to replace myself. I have gotten two estimates to have the work done, one of the estimates is around $400 and the other is under $300. I would rather do it myself, but if it is too difficult then I will have to pay to have it done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Archived