Help With Homelink Programming

Hello-

I have been able to program my garage door opener into the homelink system in my 07 NBS SLT crew cab but I can't figure out how to program my remote for the security gate. The directions are clear for programming a garage door opener but they pretty much don't say anything about programming other types of remotes.

Anyone have success with this? I would appreciate any help you might offer so I can get my other remote programmed corectly.

Thanks.

Try this: HomeLink Training Instructions

Process: Program a gate operator

Vehicle: 2007ChevroletSilverado

HomeLink Location: Overhead

CAUTION!

Before programming HomeLink to a garage door opener or gate operator, make sure that people and objects are out of the way of the device to prevent potential harm or damage. Your motorized garage door or gate will open and close while you are programming HomeLink. Do not program HomeLink if people or pets are in the path of the door or gate. A moving garage door or gate can cause serious injury or death to people and pets or damage to objects.

Vehicle exhaust contains carbon monoxide, a dangerous gas. Do not run the vehicle's engine while programming HomeLink. Exhaust gas can cause serious injury or death. When programming a garage door opener, it is advised to park outside of the garage.

Do not use HomeLink with any garage door opener that lacks safety stop and reverse features as required by U.S. federal safety standards (this includes any garage door opener model manufactured before April 1, 1982). A garage door that cannot detect an object signaling the door to stop and reverse - does not meet current U.S. federal safety standards.

If programming a garage door opener or gate, it is advised to unplug the device during the HomeLink programming and also if performing the "cycling" process to prevent possible motor burn-up.

NOTE: Some vehicles may require the ignition to be turned on or to the second (or “accessory” or ACC) position for training and/or operation of HomeLink. It is also recommended that a new battery be replaced in the hand held transmitter of the device being trained to HomeLink for quicker training and accurate transmission of the radio frequency.

1. Press and hold the two outside buttons of HomeLink, releasing only when the indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. This procedure erases the factory-set default codes (do not perform this step when programming additional HomeLink buttons).

2. Turn your vehicle’s ignition switch to the second (or "accessory") position.

3. Position the gate operator handheld transmitter 1 to 3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your visor, overhead console, or mirror), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.

4. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and the gate operator handheld transmitter button. Continue to press and hold the HomeLink button while you press and re-press ("cycle") your handheld transmitter every two seconds until the frequency signal has been learned.

Note: It is advised to unplug the device during the "cycling" process to prevent possible motor burn-up.

5. The HomeLink indicator light will flash, first slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing light indicates successful programming of the new frequency signal.)

6. Now press and hold the programmed HomeLink button and observe the indicator light. If the indicator light is solid/continuous, programming is complete. If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following rolling code programming instructions.

7. Perform these steps only if your gate does not operate after completing Step 6.

At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn” or “smart” button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.

8. Press and release the “learn” or “smart” button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.

9. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the programmed HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release” sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

To operate your entry gate using your HomeLink system, simply press the programmed HomeLink button. Activation will now occur. For convenience, the gate operator handheld transmitter may also be used at any time.

HomeLink should now activate your device.

GM changed their vendor for the HOMELINK sometime after the owners manual was printed is my understanding. I had the link for the new vendor and their instructions, but recently lost that when my computer crashed. There was a very slight variation in the instructions from the owners manual. You might check with your friendly service adviser.

I finally managed to get one garage door (of three) programmed with my new body style Silverado crew cab LTZ...strange thing is that it will occasionally open two doors at the same time. I have brand new rolling code CHAMBERLAIN openers.

Thanks for the info. I will try this when I get home today and see if it works. The instructions for the garage door opener that are in the manual worked fine...But there are no instructions for how to program a second or third device like a security gate, etc.

Thanks again.

Well, just FYI for anyone interested...The new 07 GMC's and Chevy's no longer have Homelink systems in them, they went to a Lear system. I'm not sure why they changed it...but they did and I was told that the Lear system will not work with the 400+ MHz controllers. So, my neighborhood security gate (418MHz) can not be operated with this system. The Homelink system in my Infiniti G35 operated it just fine. I think this is a stupid move on GM's part, why put a different system in the vehicles if that system is inferior to what they were using (Homelink)? I guess it could be about the $$$. Put in a cheaper less-capable system but charge the customer the same amount.

Anyway, just an FYI. Below is a link to the website for this system...

http://www.learcar2u.com/

Well, just FYI for anyone interested...The new 07 GMC's and Chevy's no longer have Homelink systems in them, they went to a Lear system. I'm not sure why they changed it...but they did and I was told that the Lear system will not work with the 400+ MHz controllers. So, my neighborhood security gate (418MHz) can not be operated with this system. The Homelink system in my Infiniti G35 operated it just fine. I think this is a stupid move on GM's part, why put a different system in the vehicles if that system is inferior to what they were using (Homelink)? I guess it could be about the $$. Put in a cheaper less-capable system but charge the customer the same amount.

Anyway, just an FYI. Below is a link to the website for this system...

http://www.learcar2u.com/

Yup, that's the link I lost when my computer crashed. It might have something to do with opening my two bay doors at the same time when only one is programmed. :)

Archived