8.1 Recall

rocnat4

My 2001 Yukon XL 2500, 8.1 threw this code earlier this summer. Glad to see GM stepping up to the plate

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...PrintVersion=NO

good to see they are stepping up on this, but I have never had a problem with the crank sensor on my 01, just the d**n cam sensor, on my third one now

My 2001 Yukon XL 2500, 8.1 threw this code earlier this summer. Glad to see GM stepping up to the plate

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...PrintVersion=NO

Why only 2001??

My truck is 2002 with 110000 mi. It started this "stalling" about a year ago. It starts back up after a few minutes of rest.

I have the new sensor, just a little afraid of attempting the install.

I wonder if GM will cover the 2002's

• 3 weeks later...

I installed mine myself after the dealership had it for a week and couldnt pull the old one out - took me 3 hours to get the old one out and the new one it. That was back in October 07...as of my post date the problem has not returned.

As for GM they need to realize that it isnt just the year, its the 8.1L in general.

The recall was issued due to a bad batch of sensors. Any manufacturer with such an issue must report to the nhtsa and they oversight the process. The reason a recall is only for one year is the fault is found and has been nailed down to certian vin break points (this recall does not include all 01 just certian vin's) It's not a gm conspiracy it is watched closely by the nhtsa see this.

Mine crapped out about a year and a half ago. Had the dealer track down the problem, they went to remove it from the block and half of it broke. Apparently it's only plastic and it goes deep into the block. So if you do it yourself be careful. The shop had my truck for three weeks between waiting for parts and having to strip my engine down to access the hole.

The redesigned crank sensor was implemented in mid 2002 is what I've been told in the past. They should cover all with the old one, not just one year. If it was up to me that is.

Vernon

FYI

http://nhthqnwws111.odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms...6016-24774P.PDF

I filed a complaint with the nhtsa and will call GM.

Hopefully, they will cover my vehicle.

Archived