Stereo Display Blank

So, I am coming back from lunch, CD in the top slot, I hit the up button on my steering wheel to change songs and I glance down at the display and it's blank! Nothing!

The HVAC control is working fine, and the stereo functions and controls are fine, just no display.

Has anybody had this happen yet?

I am very aware my truck has full warranty, so there is no need to remind me. I just like to be informed, and help my dealer so I don't have to make repeated trips, should I get the "could not duplicate" BS

So, I am coming back from lunch, CD in the top slot, I hit the up button on my steering wheel to change songs and I glance down at the display and it's blank! Nothing!

The HVAC control is working fine, and the stereo functions and controls are fine, just no display.

I am very aware my truck has full warranty, so there is no need to remind me. I just like to be informed, and help my dealer so I don't have to make repeated trips, should I get the "could not duplicate" BS

Dude, it's under warranty, take it in. That's what your warranty is for. You have a bumper-to-bumper warranty that is designed to cover this sort of thing specifically. It's between the bumpers so it's included. Take it in and let the dealer perform the work under warranty so it gets fixed right while still under warranty. It'd be a shame for you to wait until it was out of warranty to take it in so they could charge you money for a new HU since you'd then be out of warranty. Anyway, my point is, you have a warranty, use it. :D

Had it happen twice, but I couldn't figure out much of a pattern to it. Both times were when I first started the truck and pulled it out of the garage. The first time I turned the truck off and on a couple of times, tapped the dash, and played with the dash dimmer and it eventually corrected itself. I doubt my fiddling did any good. It hasn't happened in over a year though so a dealer trip would be worthless at this point for me.

Daddy does have a point :D

If the vehcile is parked under cover it may be that your Autolamp's have illuminated and your IP lights are not in the full bright setting, the radio display will return once the vehicle is moved into sunlight.

The only thing throwing me is that your HAVC control head is acting correct, none the less try to trun the IP light knob counterclockwise to full bright if it happens again other wise you have am issue that will require a repair.

If the vehcile is parked under cover it may be that your Autolamp's have illuminated and your IP lights are not in the full bright setting, the radio display will return once the vehicle is moved into sunlight.

The only thing throwing me is that your HAVC control head is acting correct, none the less try to trun the IP light knob counterclockwise to full bright if it happens again other wise you have am issue that will require a repair.

Been there done that a long time ago. The IP knob on any setting can't cause it to turn off completely anyway. It's something else causing only the radio display to completely black out and it's intermittent.

Thanks guys. Yeah I tried all the obvious stuff, and the IP light dim like they should, and the truck was in the sun when I fired it up.

Off to the dealer I go...

You should. That's what your warranty is for! :D

Last time this happened to me the dash light dimmer control was turned all the way off. I didn't figure out the problem until that night when the dash lights didn't work either.

Archived