Quite The Conundrum

Early last fall I was rolling up the driver's side window on my 95 k1500, when close to the top I heard a horrid "crunching" noise. I rolled the window back down a little, then up, and the noise came again. I decided to leave the window up until I identified the problem. A short time later I removed the door panel and found that the channel attached to the bottom of the window, that the regulator actually rides in, was obliterated by rust.

I've done some searching and found that channel is not available seperately, and is part of the window. LMC wants $120, gmpartsdirect.com about $180, and a local gm dealer close to that as well. My window is fine, just that channel is bad.

I can probably find a channel at a junk yard, but I haven't looked to see if it's removable, or if it's apoxied to the window. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Our 98 K3500 drivers door/window had this same problem. We ended up getting a new roller track from local chevy dealer, Then after putting that in ourselves we called the glass shop to take the old track off the window and re-installed in door. The window is both glued and the track is crimped on the window.

I looked in the boneyards but found either tracks about to do the same or much newer boors that they wouldnt part out.

rick

Thanks a lot for the help guys. I think I'm going to save myself the headache and just buy a new window. I can't believe gm doesn't offer it seperately, or at least a repair kit of some sort. It's obviously not an uncommon problem.

Archived