Somebody Please Tell Me How To Get Around This

Yesterday I once again realized how much not being able to disable the auto locks in my 2009 Sierra (yes I know you can change whether they lock in gear or at speed). I was out at a buddys farm to hunt mushrooms and there was a ton of getting out and in to open and close gates and the damn auto locks are just the biggest annoyance of this truck beside it not going when I mash the gas.

I believe I have seen some techs on here say it is possible to turn this off but every dealer I have been to refuses to do it. I think it is possible because when I ask they never say it can't be done, they only say they can't disable a safety device. Has anyone had any luck getting this turned off? Is there some sort of secret code word I have to say tot he service tech?

This is one of many frustrations I have with the latest GMCss. I have driven GMCs since 1999 and before that I had a Chevy. I told my wife last week that my next one will be a Ford and the main reason is little stuff like this. No courtesy lights in the cab floor, inability to turn the gauge lights all the way off, can't turn the cargo light on without turning the dome light on, auto locks, pain in the rear to change the headlight bulbs and I am sure there are many more that I am forgetting. I am done with GMC unless they get there act together

When you get out to close a gate, don't you put it in park? My truck unlocks the doors in park.

No, 2 people in the truck and gate opening is always the passenger's job. You are sounding a lot like the GMC service managers I deal with, arguing with me rather than helping to solve the problem. It is just as annoying the near daily occurrence that I try to open the door in my driveway and it is still locked or someone tries to get out when I drop them off and it is locked.

I read that a dealer can add the option to disable it into the dic with a customer request to do so. I know I saw a tsb on this site about it as well

Cool, I will maybe try again tomorrow. But this is kind of what I have been running into, it is like an urban legend. I was hoping someone might know the TSB number or quite literally have the "magic words" that I need to say to make this happen.

Thanks, I will stop by the dealer tomorrow. Maybe if I just keep bothering them they will do it to get rid of me.

See if this helps....

Subject: Disabling Auto Door Locks

Models: 2005-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2011 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that they are unable to override the automatic door locking feature. In prior model years, customers were able to select "Doors Lock Manually" from the DIC. However, starting in the 2005 model year, this selection was removed.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Since the 2005 model year, all BCM's (Body Control Modules) are programmed from the factory to lock all doors when the transmission is shifted into gear or vehicle speed is greater than 8 mph (13 km/h). There is no option to disable the auto door locks from the factory, but if an owner wishes to have the auto door locks disabled the following procedure can be performed by the dealership:

Note: Use the appropriate procedure below (either 1 or 2) for the Year and Model vehicle you are working.

1. Use the following procedure to disable the auto door locks on the models listed below:

2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (new body style), Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2011 GMC Sierra (new body style), Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

A. Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. When viewing the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web, select "locking" (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed as "(Per Customer Request Only) Auto door locks off, option no longer in DIC".

Note: For the 2010 and 2011 Model year the calibrations are no longer selectable in TIS2WEB and Techline Customer Support (800-828-XXXX) must be contacted to obtain the calibrations.

B. After reprogramming the BCM, use the DIC controls (RPO UK3) to scroll through the personalization settings to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be two different settings: "Lock with speed" or "Lock in gear". You will notice there is NO new setting but also there will be no "check This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3189N. marks" next to any of the settings. This means the auto door lock feature is disabled. If there is a "check mark" next to one of the "Auto Door Lock" selections then the only way to remove the "check mark" is to scroll to "Factory Settings" and select "Restore", this will remove the "check mark" thus disabling the "Auto Door Lock" feature.

Note: Please keep in mind that if "Factory Settings Restored" is selected it will change all of the other personalization settings back to the factory settings and they will need to be reset back to the owner's preferences.

On vehicles without the DIC controls, once the BCM is reprogrammed with the new calibration the "Auto Door Locks" will be disabled and there is no way to turn the Auto Door Locks back on unless the BCM is reprogrammed with the previous calibration.

2. Use the following procedure to disable the auto door locks on the models listed below:

2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2006-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic (old body style)

2006-2007 GMC Sierra Classic (old body style)

2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

Note: NO new calibrations are available for the 2005 models or vehicles with manual transmissions.

A. Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. When at the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web select "locking" (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed "(Per customer request only) Auto Door Lock option ENABLED on DIC".

B. After reprogramming the BCM, vehicles with Steering Wheel Controls (RPO UK3) can use the controls to scroll through the personalization setting to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be a new "Manual" selection now available to choose, along with the two previous selections "In Gear" and "With Speed".

C. After reprogramming the BCM, vehicles without Steering Wheel Controls will need to enter the door lock programming mode procedure located in section 2 of the owner's manual. Once in the programming mode press the lock side of the driver's power door lock switch, you will hear either one, two or NO chimes. One chime indicates you are in Setting 1 (lock in gear), Two chimes you are in Setting 2 (lock with speed) and NO chimes you are in Setting 3 (Manual). Continue to press the door lock switch to scroll through the 3 different selections until you hear the desired setting and then exit the programming mode by turning the ignition key on.

See if this helps....

Subject: Disabling Auto Door Locks

Models: 2005-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2011 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment that they are unable to override the automatic door locking feature. In prior model years, customers were able to select "Doors Lock Manually" from the DIC. However, starting in the 2005 model year, this selection was removed.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Since the 2005 model year, all BCM's (Body Control Modules) are programmed from the factory to lock all doors when the transmission is shifted into gear or vehicle speed is greater than 8 mph (13 km/h). There is no option to disable the auto door locks from the factory, but if an owner wishes to have the auto door locks disabled the following procedure can be performed by the dealership:

Note: Use the appropriate procedure below (either 1 or 2) for the Year and Model vehicle you are working.

1. Use the following procedure to disable the auto door locks on the models listed below:

2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (new body style), Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2011 GMC Sierra (new body style), Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

A. Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. When viewing the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web, select "locking" (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed as "(Per Customer Request Only) Auto door locks off, option no longer in DIC".

Note: For the 2010 and 2011 Model year the calibrations are no longer selectable in TIS2WEB and Techline Customer Support (800-828-XXXX) must be contacted to obtain the calibrations.

B. After reprogramming the BCM, use the DIC controls (RPO UK3) to scroll through the personalization settings to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be two different settings: "Lock with speed" or "Lock in gear". You will notice there is NO new setting but also there will be no "check This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3189N. marks" next to any of the settings. This means the auto door lock feature is disabled. If there is a "check mark" next to one of the "Auto Door Lock" selections then the only way to remove the "check mark" is to scroll to "Factory Settings" and select "Restore", this will remove the "check mark" thus disabling the "Auto Door Lock" feature.

Note: Please keep in mind that if "Factory Settings Restored" is selected it will change all of the other personalization settings back to the factory settings and they will need to be reset back to the owner's preferences.

On vehicles without the DIC controls, once the BCM is reprogrammed with the new calibration the "Auto Door Locks" will be disabled and there is no way to turn the Auto Door Locks back on unless the BCM is reprogrammed with the previous calibration.

2. Use the following procedure to disable the auto door locks on the models listed below:

2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2006-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic (old body style)

2006-2007 GMC Sierra Classic (old body style)

2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

Note: NO new calibrations are available for the 2005 models or vehicles with manual transmissions.

A. Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. When at the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web select "locking" (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed "(Per customer request only) Auto Door Lock option ENABLED on DIC".

B. After reprogramming the BCM, vehicles with Steering Wheel Controls (RPO UK3) can use the controls to scroll through the personalization setting to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be a new "Manual" selection now available to choose, along with the two previous selections "In Gear" and "With Speed".

C. After reprogramming the BCM, vehicles without Steering Wheel Controls will need to enter the door lock programming mode procedure located in section 2 of the owner's manual. Once in the programming mode press the lock side of the driver's power door lock switch, you will hear either one, two or NO chimes. One chime indicates you are in Setting 1 (lock in gear), Two chimes you are in Setting 2 (lock with speed) and NO chimes you are in Setting 3 (Manual). Continue to press the door lock switch to scroll through the 3 different selections until you hear the desired setting and then exit the programming mode by turning the ignition key on.

Thank you! I am going to print this out and bring it with me.

Edit: Is this an actual TSB or is there a different name for this kind of directive? Is there a reference number associated with it?

So I brought this in and they admitted they could do it after telling me twice before that they couldn't. Then he told me it was going to be $120 which I refused to pay because this is something that should have been available anyway and obviously enough people complained about it that they released an update.

I am driving to Illinois tomorrow to visit some family and my buddy is the former service manager at a GMC dealer so I am going to ask him to use his hookups to get it done. $120 just seems outrageous after spending $42,000 on a truck and making the customer track down the required procedure.

I understand your fustration but it's not purely GM at fault. You complaining about your auto door-locks is about the same as you complaining you can't turn off your seat belt chime or disable traction control. Auto door-locks are a safety feature just like seat belts and traction control. Now they even have cars that apply the brake's for you. Its only going to keep getting worse for you.

I have my truck set to only un-lock my drivers door because I work in bad parts of town. But I'm already in the habbit of hitting the un-lock button when I have people in the truck.

Success! But it dod not come easily.

I went to the dealer that sold me the truck and asked them for a 3rd time to do this. For the third time he lectured me on how they can't disable a safety device and that to do so has been against the law since 1966. I then handed him the info I printed out from above but he still wasn't going to do it saying it wasn't a bulletin, just preliminary information. After telling him that I didn't care what it was called just that it could be done and had been sanctioned to be done by GM. After he looked a bit he found an update to that information and all of the sudden it was no longer illegal.

Then he wanted to charge me $120 to reflash the BCM and I politely told him where he could shove that. If anything they should be paying me for doing their research and having to have this forum tell me what I needed to know. He wasn't backing off of the $120 number at all so I then explained that I had been driving GMC trucks since 1999 and have spent almost $90,000 on them in the last 12 years. I asked for the name of the salesman that sold this one to me so I could go let him know that I would never buy from him, the dealership or GMC ever again. That must have been the magic words because it instantly became a free service in the name of customer service.

I can't trade for a few more years but I think I am done with GM for a while.

Your dealer is the issue, not GM. GM doesn't own or run dealerships, they are privately owned. There is nothing, nowhere that says that the auto door locks are a safety feature that cannot be disabled legally. Your dealer was trying to blow smoke up your ass and what for, I do not know. It would benifit them none to do this service for you but it sounds like you just had a service writer that thought they knew it all.

Anyway, my point is, this is about as much GM's fault as the cow is that the dairy company got the spoiled milk from.

Your dealer is the issue, not GM. GM doesn't own or run dealerships, they are privately owned. There is nothing, nowhere that says that the auto door locks are a safety feature that cannot be disabled legally. Your dealer was trying to blow smoke up your ass and what for, I do not know. It would benifit them none to do this service for you but it sounds like you just had a service writer that thought they knew it all.

Anyway, my point is, this is about as much GM's fault as the cow is that the dairy company got the spoiled milk from.

You are right but I got the same runaround from 2 different dealerships on multiple occasions. If I drive a GM product I am going to have to continue dealing with GM dealers and they obviously aren't interested in customer service. And after all, GM is the one that put the "feature" on their in the first place. There are several things about the 2007+ trucks that I don't like. Too many features like no cargo light without the dome light or lack of under hood light. Not to mention the 3 piece paper thin rear bumper or the lack of any dash indicator that says I am in 4WD. Life is too short to deal with these frustrations, time to give someone else a try.

This is a GM issue that has always bothered me. I've owned both Ford and Dodge and both of them have step by step instructions in the owners manuals of how to disable both the auto locks and the seat belt chime. GM could do it, they just don't want to.

I agree with red, this should be a customer selectable item. Every other vehicle that I've had with auto door locks allowed me to disable it. I absolutely HATE the mandatory auto door locks too. I haven't been back to my dealership since I bought the truck, but may try to see of they will try to charge me the $100+ to do it or not.

Archived