Sagging Leaf Springs

So I figured out why everyone thinks I leveled my truck: the leaf springs are sagging about a 1/2"- 3/4". My goal for this summer is to basically fix everything major wrong with the truck, so new leaves are in order.

Now here's the "difficult" part. I'm going to be cranking the t-bars between an inch and an inch and a half, and I also want to get another inch in the rear (don't even...). I was going to just replace the 2" block with a 3", but I'm not a huge fan of blocks, and I figure as long as I'm getting new leaf springs, I might as well get 3" lift springs, and run no blocks, since that should be 1" higher than stock. This makes sense, right?

Where would be a good place to look for 3" lift springs, and about how much would they run me? Would it just make more sense to get stock springs and run a 3" block?

I don't really want to go the air bag route. It's not the height of the rear that bothers me as much as the fact that I know my springs are worn out. I want to fix (replace) the problem, not 'cover it up' with something like air bags, AAL's, or blocks. I'll look for those skyjacker springs though. :lol:

Anybody else?

Anybody else?

The spring packs have just settled over time. It happens to every leaf pack over time. This does not mean they are less of a spring or that they have failed. Running a one inch higher block is a great solution. You'll keep your ride and one additional inch won't destroy anything. One thing I'd do is install a new pair of premium shocks on the rear if yours are not really fresh. Whatever you do... stay away from any kind of Add-A-Leaf setup. One added leaf will not last when it has to reinforce an entire leaf pack...

i'm running into the same problem with mine... i tow allot and i've noticed over the years that my truck just doesnt look as high up in the rear as it used to... my question is: where can i buy a good solid block that i know i can trust? i know they sell them at pepboys and autozone are those reliable enough?

Anybody else?

The spring packs have just settled over time. It happens to every leaf pack over time. This does not mean they are less of a spring or that they have failed. Running a one inch higher block is a great solution. You'll keep your ride and one additional inch won't destroy anything. One thing I'd do is install a new pair of premium shocks on the rear if yours are not really fresh. Whatever you do... stay away from any kind of Add-A-Leaf setup. One added leaf will not last when it has to reinforce an entire leaf pack...

Leaf springs don't normally settle into a W shape, do they...?

post-35072-1213756012_thumb.jpg

And my shocks definitely can't be considered "fresh". 170,000 miles is a bit overdue, don't ya think? :) Graduation money is going for new shocks.

Been doing any burnouts or excessive tire chirping? That "w" shape usually comes from axle wrap, which is when the rear axle starts breaking traction and "hopping" up and down.

I put an add-a-leaf and rear shocks on my 07, it definitely gave it a bit of lift and it takes weight a lot better. I had 2,300 lbs in the bed last week and it didn't sag as nearly as much as before.

My previous post didn't disagree with Ranger. Add-a-leaf works well on new spring packs for creating better load handling. Worn out old springs would just be relying on the new leaf and it too would fail after a while. At 170K, you could go to a boneyard and get a set off of an 05 or 06 model truck. They should be MUCH fresher and nor terribly expensive. It's a good option.

Hey Ranger... did you notice any harsher ride?

Been doing any burnouts or excessive tire chirping? That "w" shape usually comes from axle wrap, which is when the rear axle starts breaking traction and "hopping" up and down.

Burnouts with $220 a piece tires? Hell no! :) The only time I let the tires break loose is in snow or mud, and I know I've never felt any wheel-hop.

My previous post didn't disagree with Ranger. Add-a-leaf works well on new spring packs for creating better load handling. Worn out old springs would just be relying on the new leaf and it too would fail after a while. At 170K, you could go to a boneyard and get a set off of an 05 or 06 model truck. They should be MUCH fresher and nor terribly expensive. It's a good option.

Hey Ranger... did you notice any harsher ride?

Actually, someone about a half hour away from me on another site just offered me the springs off his '05 for... Lets just say it costs more for a tank of gas. So it looks like my problem is solved! :lol:

Now it's off to hunt for shocks...

Sounds like a plan. You'll think you have a new truck with new springs and shocks. Let us know how it works out.

Oh don't worry, I'll post lots of pictures... :lol:

I just hope I can un bolt everything after 8 salty winters... Gotta love rust. :)

Sounds like a plan. You'll think you have a new truck with new springs and shocks. Let us know how it works out.

Oh don't worry, I'll post lots of pictures... :lol:

I just hope I can un bolt everything after 8 salty winters... Gotta love rust. :lol:

Get new bolts BEFORE you start! :)

Archived