P0455,p0449,p0442 Codes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chvy1

chvy1

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? I have a 2006 Z71 5.3 V8 w/53,000 miles and every morning on my way to work I get a message "Tighten Gas Cap". The first two times I got this message I tightened the gas cap but it was already tight. Then my engine light came on and got these 3 codes (P0455,P0442,P0449). I called the dealer and they told me to replace the gas cap and this will solve my problem. Guess what it cleared up for a day. Now I still get the "Tighten Gas Cap" error in the morning and the code is P0455. I checked the lines and the purge valve. Everything looks good. I contacted the dealer again and they said for $300 they will drop the gas tank and change somekind of solenoid. I heard that there was a kit you can buy and this should solve the problem. Did anyone ever have this problem and can I change this myself to avoid the $300 dealer bill?

#2 sledr

sledr

Enthusiast

• 133 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:30 PM

Read this......I posted this about a year ago.

http://www.gm-trucks...?...03&hl=sledr

This how I fixed my 442 code. It has been one year now and the "tighten gas cap" message has not returned
Posted Image
2004 Chevrolet Silverado LS SBEC Z71 Black w/ Dark Pewter interior, 5.3, 3.73 /w/locking diff, 1SE option package, trailer towing package, hood deflector, mudflaps, bedliner, tonneau cover, Dueler A/T Revos.
2006 Triton LT-10 Enclosed
2006 Ski-Doo MXZ 600 SDI Adrenaline

#3 chvy1

chvy1

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

Does anyone know a solution to this problem? I have a 2006 Z71 5.3 V8 w/53,000 miles and every morning on my way to work I get a message "Tighten Gas Cap". The first two times I got this message I tightened the gas cap but it was already tight. Then my engine light came on and got these 3 codes (P0455,P0442,P0449). I called the dealer and they told me to replace the gas cap and this will solve my problem. Guess what it cleared up for a day. Now I still get the "Tighten Gas Cap" error in the morning and the code is P0455. I checked the lines and the purge valve. Everything looks good. I contacted the dealer again and they said for $300 they will drop the gas tank and change somekind of solenoid. I heard that there was a kit you can buy and this should solve the problem. Did anyone ever have this problem and can I change this myself to avoid the $300 dealer bill?

Do you think I need to re run the vent hose on top of the tranny?

#4 lowoh8

lowoh8

Enthusiast

• 90 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 10:51 PM

tell the dealer u want a new vent valve solenoid, should cost around $110 installed

[SOLD] // 08 GMC ECSB ONYX BLACK // INTAKE // 6000K HIDS // 4/7 McG // Magnaflow // Blackbear tune // 15.3 // Airlift # 59209 // MOOG //

//09 SILVERADO ECSB GRAYSTONE METALLIC // AIRAID JR // AMSOIL // 6000K HIDS // DYNOMAX // AIRLIFT 59209 // MCGAUGHYS 4/7 // BELLTECH // 

#5 jGrenade

jGrenade

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

I'm having the exact same problem, did you find a solution?

#6 jGrenade

jGrenade

Enthusiast

• 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

Ended up taking it to the dealer. They said the "evaporative e-valve" was burned up. Ended up costing me $900 bucks. Truck only had 36k miles.

Edited by jGrenade, 27 December 2009 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Rudy35

Rudy35

Enthusiast

• 76 posts
  • Name:Randy
  • Drives:2012 GMC Seirra 1500 SLE 4X4

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

The dealerships are charging way too much. When I got the "tighten gas cap" code, it was the vent valve selonoid that was bad. GM wanted over a hundred bucks just in parts for the updated one so that the vent could be relocated above the transmission. I just went to RockAuto.com and bought the originial vent valve selonoid for $17. This fixed the code problem. My original valve lasted 5 years without the vent above the transmission, so for $17 I hope to get another 5 years. I also bought another $17 valve to have on the shelf for next time. Cheaper than what the dealership will charge!
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Extended Cab 6.0 Traded in
2012 GMC Seirra 1500 SLE Extended Cab 4 X 4

#8 desrtrat

desrtrat

Enthusiast

• 991 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Ended up taking it to the dealer. They said the "evaporative e-valve" was burned up. Ended up costing me $900 bucks. Truck only had 36k miles.

i may be wrong but, that should of been covered under FEDERAL emission warranty 7yr/70k mi..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users