Towing With A Diesel

No matter what the diesel is going to tow way better. It is a night and day difference. But that said, you are going to have to ask yourself the questions of how many miles do you tow, how often, what type of terrain and decide if it is worth the extra expense. And if you are looking used, stay away from any F250 with a 6.0L diesel.

I tow a travel trailer that weighs about 7000lbs with my current truck (see sig)....and to be honest, it doesn't know it's there. But then it's less than half it's towing capacity. ;)

Hoping to get into a fiver soon......

No matter what the diesel is going to tow way better. It is a night and day difference. But that said, you are going to have to ask yourself the questions of how many miles do you tow, how often, what type of terrain and decide if it is worth the extra expense. And if you are looking used, stay away from any F250 with a 6.0L diesel.

I agree..and a diesel ,except ford new ones, will give better mileage than a gas engine pulling heavy loads. My 97 ford...7.3 (best diesel V8) with a 5 speed gave me over 20 around town and almost the same towing a 1 car trailer. With a loaded 2 car trailer I got over 14...friends v10 dodge got 5..plus the power and torque is incredible...if you tow over 5000 miles a season, consider a diesel...over 10,000...get one...Another friend bought a 2008 duramax and it would pull stumps and still get better mileage than a gas engine, per Him...I'm a huge diesel fan

I had a Chevy 2500 and towed up to 10,000 lbs with it. Did well on the flat, but struggled up the mountains. It got the job done, but I recently bought a 2011 Duramax Diesel. The difference in towing is like night and day. We towed our trailer to Texas (from Maryland) and it went up the mountains like they were nothing. We traded that trailer in on a larger one and towed that one back to Maryland. Love the diesel! More power, more pickup and better mileage.

Archived