2002 Silverado Door Squeaking Help

I have a 2002 Silverado LT z71 and I rest my leg on the door panel. I've tired not resting my leg on it but it effects the way I drive. I have owned the truck since new and it recently started doing this....

its driving me bonkers so anyway to fix this ?

WORICP,

Have you tried removing the door panel and looking behind it? I have the same year truck and removing the panel is dead simple, fast and easy to put back on. I'll attach a PDF with the instructions just in case. I cannot tell from your video exactly where the sound is coming from but behind the section you push on in the video, there is a wire harness for the speakers and power mirror. It is latched down pretty well and if it came loose it might easily make that noise. Some other thoughts from my limited past experience with my door panels: The metal door under the panel is sealed with plastic (like covering a bowl of leftovers for the fridge. If this came unstuck it could give you some noise when your knee was actually rubbing against it. Your video sounds too loud for this to me but again, it was hard to really tell. Those door panels are pretty HD rigid plastic. Not floppy cardboard and vinyl like old days. They have heavy plastic catches / hooks that drop down into slots in the metal door (the panel comes off by lifting it straight up - see PDF first). If one of those catch hooks broke it might cause enough movement with your leg pressing on it to make that noise. I can tell you for sure that pulling the panel and looking in that area, will easily reveal ANY problems. In other words if something is not right behind there, you will know it immediately when you look at it. If nothing else you might be able to put some peal & stick foam behind that area to solidify the area and stop it moving / rattling. I think on yours you have heated seat switches so there's another set of wires to be sure are locked down. Also, on bottom of door panel is a 7mm bolt head that goes up into bottom of map pocket and holds map pocket into door panel (does not need to be removed to remove door panel). Mine broke years ago and made a rattling noise until I found it and fixed it. It was not as loud as yours but I'm just throwing out ideas here. I hope something here helps with your problem.

Door Panels - \'99-\'02.pdf

Archived