Jump started dead battery...'Service Battery'

Hey guys. Ran my battery down playing the radio while working in the yard. Went to start it, dead. Jump started it off a Escape, (turned off all accessories, etc etc) Anyway, truck started fine. However now it says "Service Battery System" and my battery error light is on. WTF? Is this just because the battery isnt fully re-charged yet? I'm going to leave it running for about 20 minutes, should this error resolve itself? Its never been on before, battery, alternator has been fine.

annnnd.. I just realized this was posted in the 'engine and powertrain' section, if it should go in the "Electrical' forum can a mod please move it? thx.

Ok, after 15 min, error still showing. Turned it off. Opened the door to turn off RAP. Then restarted it, started perfectly fine as before, but STILL has the error MSG and battery light. Help?

Don't recharge a dead battery with your alternator. Use a battery charger if at all possible.

Also everytime you run your battery down below about 11.5 Volts, you do some long term damage to the battery and shorten the life. Avoid deep discharging the battery.

Well this is the first time I've killed it and I certainly dont plan on making a habit of it.

I didnt have a battery charger so little option there. And after 24hrs the error had resolved itself.

Thanks for all the replies, sorry for the initial concern lol

Idling won't recharge a battery; take it out and drive it. Some of these alternators declutch at idle, thus putting the electrical load back on the battery.

Archived