brown wire on wiring harness from firewall

Does anyone know where or what the brown wire with a female connecting in the wiring harness from the firewall on the driver side go to. It's also the same wiring harness that goes to the windsheild wipers. It would be a lot of help tome, thanks.

Does anyone know where or what the brown wire with a female connecting in the wiring harness from the firewall on the driver side go to. It's also the same wiring harness that goes to the windsheild wipers. It would be a lot of help tome, thanks.

That wire looks like the SET TIMING wire...but I don't know if a 98 would have that or not

Yeah i'm having some problems, the truck was tore up when i got it and i have been trying to get it back to origanal. That wire was already undone i just didn't know if it was s'possed to be connected or not. I've got more experience with old school then this FI stuff.

Yeah i'm having some problems, the truck was tore up when i got it and i have been trying to get it back to origanal. That wire was already undone i just didn't know if it was s'possed to be connected or not. I've got more experience with old school then this FI stuff.

This might help:

The ignition timing of the 1999 Vortec engine is not adjustable with traditional methods. In older engine designs, rotating the distributor caused the spark to fire earlier or later, changing engine timing. General Motors timed the Vortec engines by computer control, computing exactly where the piston is located in the firing cycle from a sensor that reads crankshaft position. Moving the distributor has no effect on when the spark fires. If the distributor is out of adjustment, the spark must jump a wider gap between the ignition rotor and the terminal of the distributor cap, reducing the spark energy available to light the fuel in the cylinder at the spark plug. Low spark energy causes misfires and hesitation within the engine. The timing or phasing of the distributor with the crankshaft is critical

Checklist:

Normal operating temperature.

Air cleaner installed.

A/C "OFF".

Transmission in neutral.

Disconnect SET TIMING connector (tan/black wire) located in the cab where the Heater Box and the carpet meet on the passenger side floor. DO NOT disconnect 4 wire connector at distributor.

Connect timing light and adjust as necessary by loosening hold down bolt and rotating distributor. For specification, refer to SPECIFICATIONS/TIMING MARKS. (Probably 0 TDC) Tighten hold down and recheck the timing. Stop the engine and connect SET TIMING connector. Clear control module trouble code by disconnecting control module power source or use bidirectional scanner.

Archived