"Check Trailer Wiring" DIC message

c4cruiser

Noticed this today after towing my car trailer. It only seems to happen when I unplug the 7-pin connector from the truck (08 Silverado LTZ w/tow package and integral trailer brake controller) with the engine running. All the lights on the truck and the trailer work fine and the trailer brakes work too (tested with the brake controller and with the service brakes). I have an electric tongue jack and that works fine.

Ideas??

• 2 weeks later...

This is most likely a normal safety feature design. If you are driving down the road and they become unhooked, then this warns you that your trailer brakes are no longer functional. Youre obviously not driving anywhere with the truck off, but when running, the Truck doesn't know if the wiring is disconnected intentionally or by accident thus the message; so this scenario makes sense to me.

The weak part of trailer wiring systems is where the wire goes in to the brake hub in back. Check the wiring all along the axle (they usually tie it to one of the axles). If the trailer brake wiring is missing a little rubber it will cause this message. You can either wrap in black tape or a better fix is to buy the snap together wire tubing and put the brakes wires in there and then zip tie it to the axle.

I just reread your post. This above info is if your brake controller gives this message while you are plugged in to your trailer.

• 1 month later...

Archived