2003 GMC Duramax Air Conditioning

You can't simply say the compressor is/isn't bad or the system is/isn't empty with the amount of information contained in the original post.

OP, is the clutch actually kicking on? A clutch that doesn't engage could be a system low charge or any number of failed sensors. If the compressor isn't running, your high and low side pressures would be equal. If you have access to an A/C machine, pull all the refrigerant out of the system and compare the charge removed to the charge specification. If the charge is low enough, the pressures won't be high enough for the PCM to decide to operate the compressor relay.

The Duramax should run a fixed displacement, cycling compressor. Forgive me if that statement is erroneous as I haven't done GM A/C work in a while. Luckily, the compressor on a Duramax is in an extremely accessible spot...

Edited by oldscsc

You can't simply say the compressor is/isn't bad or the system is/isn't empty with the amount of information contained in the original post.

OP, is the clutch actually kicking on? A clutch that doesn't engage could be a system low charge or any number of failed sensors. If the compressor isn't running, your high and low side pressures would be equal. If you have access to an A/C machine, pull all the refrigerant out of the system and compare the charge removed to the charge specification. If the charge is low enough, the pressures won't be high enough for the PCM to decide to operate the compressor relay.

The Duramax should run a fixed displacement, cycling compressor. Forgive me if that statement is erroneous as I haven't done GM A/C work in a while. Luckily, the compressor on a Duramax is in an extremely accessible spot...

Sorry for guessing on the internet as the truck is not in my service bay sir

• 6 years later...

I have an '03 Duramax with an A/C issue. First of all; new compressor; condenser; evaporator; accumulator; orifice tube; hi and clutch switches. Evacuated, vacuum, 26 oz. charge +/-. Auto climate control system.

When in recirc. mode, air at the vents is 50F and pressures are 33/187.

When recirc. is off, air vents rise to 65+ and pressures rise to 50/225.

Clutch looks to be engaged constantly. Any idea what's going on?